Beginner motocross and grasstrack on a 1994 Honda cr250 vs newer machinery??

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Hi all,
This is my first year of really riding motocross bikes and have enjoyed hareandhounds, but i have ridden on a practice motox track and really fallen in love with the sport!!
I am now interested in doing my first season of motox racing next year! My bike needs a new linkage and linkage bearings, but other than that is in excellent shape, heres my question..........would it be just as beneficial for me to keep my 1994 HONDA CR250 and prepare it for next season, eg rebuild linkage, swingarm,forks,shock, all bearings, tires, extra spares, top and bottem of engine etc. Or should i save up and buy in sept say a good condition 00 Honda cr250 or 99-01 kawasaki kx250...either way i will be on a budget!
Hope you can help me what to do! :aj:

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
your bike is a good one. I would just reuild everything and get some aftermarket parts for it. Like a FMF pipe,new reeds,and get the suspenders set up for your weight. The suspenders are the most important part in my mind.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Had the same bike, forks were probably its weakest link. As with any older bike maintenance will be the key. Check the brake pads/rotors, change brake fluid, clean power valve, supsension service, etc. Don't know if I'd go the entire rebuild route or go newer. Your bike can be competitive but with the right deal you can go newer and not spend quite as much as you would on a total rebuild.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Any idea on what it would cost to do a total rebuild?
I was thinking a new front rotar for $50, a new brake hose and replace all break seals and pads would make her competetive in the braking departement

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
I would do all the work bar the forks and shock!
Could i get away with rebuilding the complete engine for say $300 and postage?
EG:(1) Replace all bearings, main and gearbox, gaskets and piston kit, and perhaps a new rodkit?(2) New clutch....cost? (3) New oil, bearings and springs in the forks...Cost?
(4)REEDS $30. (5) Service shock...cost?, (6)linkage bearings $90, linkage $120, shock and swingarm bearings $150, Plastics $150.
The parts i know of would cost say $800, thats not including, forks and shock rebuild and clutch replacement!
I rebuilt my topend say 10 hrs ago....just put on a new stock silencer....will buy and modify the fmf q to fit if any1 knows if thats possile!!
Just put on new bars, grips, serviced it again.
The only really necessary parts needed would be the linkage and bearings, bottem end of engine rebuilt and perhaps swingarm bearings!

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Would my bike be competitive if i just rebuilt the engine? Linkage and swingarm bearings? And put new oil in the forks? New st of Tires? and 0-x ring chain and sprockets (13-51?) I am on a budget!

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
I really like the 94 cr250, but I was surprised how better my 00 kx was and got for just 300 more. Save up, and get a bike that you can plan on keeping for a while.

Top Bottom