levistibby

Apr 2, 2007
hey guys. im 5' 9". 150 lbs. mainly for trail ridin. if i get decent maybe racin. so no riding experience and i jumped on my buddies crf250. it was kinda heavy and i could not start it to save my life. i tried probly throughout day maybe 50 times and got it once. so he said i might look into gettin a 125 2 stroke. any help would be greatly appreciated! thx

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
Did he show you the proper way to start a 4 stroker. You know cranking the engine untill it is at top dead center then kicking it over. Or did he just sit back and laugh while you tired yourself out.

levistibby

Apr 2, 2007
no he told me to kick hard then give a lil gas. i did it once but i just couldnt really get it. i didnt see form that u told me to fill out

Jan 3, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

This is the one. Anyone here will tell you a properly jetted 4 stroke should not need any gas to liven it. That is a mistake most 2 stroke riders do when they go to start a 2 stroke. You should have waited till top dead center and then give a steady and fairly hard kick(just enough to get parts moving).

levistibby

Apr 2, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'9" 150 lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
not scared to get hurt.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
mostly with friends on homemade woods track but maybe racing if i get decent

4) Do you have any riding experience?
no

5) Do you think you will race ?
possibly

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
myself no, i have buddies that would help me

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
thats what i need to figure out

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
possibly

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
round $3000

10) Do you live in California?
umm...no

Last edited:

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
with no riding experience my opinion is it would be challenging but benficial to start out on a 125cc motocross either a cr kx rm or yz. Now that being said the reason it would be challenging is because these bikes can be overwhelming to the beginner rider because they are quite fast. As long as you don't ride it to fast when you start out you should be fine. This bike would be good because you would start to get comfortable with it and then start to tear it up as you got the feel of it. I am 6' tall and 195 pounds and my 2000 yz 125 can take me for a rip. Great bikes. I have been told that any of the big 4's (Honda, kawasaki,suzuki, or yamaha) are all good just pick your color. By the way incase you didn't know the models of manufacturers of mx bikes are as follows : Kawasaki makes the KX's, Yamaha makes the YZ, Suzuki makes the RM, and honda Makes the CR.

levistibby

Apr 2, 2007
ok thx for help. ok about how much $ am i lookin at to get started? and tips on actually riding? i have real probs keepin rpms up and not stallin it in corners. o and i cant get it out of 1st. lol but help would be nice.

sarN

Apr 1, 2007
i dont know about most bikes, but the four that i got the kickstart has like a decompressor on it. you push down about half way and you can feel all the air get pumped out of the cylinder, then you bring it all the way up and kick. only takes about 2 or 3 kicks on my bike when i dont have 8 month old gas in it.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If your main focus will be woods riding then I would look at the Kawasaki KDX200/220 as mentioned earlier or even better a KTM 200EXC. You mention possibly racing, do you mean MX racing or woods stuff like harescrambles, enduros etc? If you are talking MX then a 125 or a 250F and learn how to start it is likely your best bet instead of the others

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
ohh yeah supercross hey??? Well anyways your best bed would be a 125cc mx bike from any of the big 4.hehe this is gonna make people angry but hey. Get a two stroke cause they are faster and they don't sound like farts...... sorry fourstrokers. The kdx like someone else recommended would just get spanked on a track. Yz's are nice. Honda's are reliable and made pretty tough, kawi's are fast, I don't know too much about suzuki's but they are great when I rode a buddies. take your pick. enjoy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom