Newbie ...gettin first bike ...HELP!!

WRXman

Apr 1, 2004
Hey all,

The name is Jack from Binghamton, NY, and I'm WRXman (not to be mistaken with the WRXman that is KDXer of the year or is so mentioned in a posted thread ....it was definately odd lookin at the forums for the first time and seein my user name in a thread already :ohmy:)

Anyways, i have no dirt bike experience besides seein a few races, hittin up a few bike shops, and extensive internet research. However, I have a few months experience riding a Kawasaki Ninja sport bike ...and after this few months I've decided dirt is more my style because I know of no trees that will jump in front of you because they're doin their make up or talkin on a cell phone.

I've been lookin at bikes for about a month now and i'm kinda torn on what's the right bike for me. I'm not a huge kid at 5'7" and 150 lbs ....and for my many years of mountain bikin Ive liked the small frame cause I can man handle it, finesse it threw all sorts of crap in the woods, and jump like a kangaroo. My boy, who has been ridin and racin since he was 6, is tellin me to get the CRF250F ...and its a sweet bike but its 5 G's, I'm not gonna be racin, and it feels real big. I've been feeling the Kawasaki KX100, because its a motorcross bike that Ive read is also good on trails due to its size and more low end power than your typical two stroke. I will be doing a lot of both types because two of my friends have motocross tracks in their backyards, and there is trails everywhere. My question is will my beefy 150 lb keester be too much for this bike, and do you think I am gonna regret gettin the smaller bike?? What got me thinkin this is all the reviews on the bike that have been posted by 130 lb kids, or smaller.

thanks,
Jack

--Don't rush ....just courtesy flush :uh:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site, Jack :)

I am going to move this thread to a directory that will probably get you more views.

Watch for Fred T around the site. He is a great rider that is similar in stature. He can give you a lot of insite. He rides KTM bikes, but is a wealth of knowledge.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
Welcome to the site!

I'm 5'3", a few pounds less than 130, ride a CRF250X and love it. I came off a TTr 125L and I tried a KX100 but it still felt like a mini bike. Once I get on the 250X I don't notice that the bike is so big.

I don't ride trails, MX and Hare Scrambles, but I definately wanted a bigger bike. I think you would out grow a KX100 pretty fast, especially if you are trying to keep up with others. A CRF, or YZF/WR250 would be good bikes to start out with but the mods you would need to do to the KX100 to make it a good woods bike can easily be done to a 125 2-stroke as well. A flywheel weight on either would help tone down the hit to give you enough time to get used to the bike.

Good luck with your decision.

SusanE.

Shift_Air

Apr 8, 2004
hey, i would suggest that you get something in the 125 flavor, for one, you will grow out of this bike quite quickly, if u want to spent more money when u grow out of the KX100 its your desision, if you dont like the crf250f, try the crf150f, 4 strokers have excellent constitent power for the woods<and theres always one good thing about a 4...the powers always there and you dont have to keep crakin on the bike like a 2 stroke, just a suggestion, im sure that you will be satisfied with whatever you decide on

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Im 5'7'' and about 165lbs or so. I have a YZ80. It was fine to learn on, but now its time for a bigger one. A KX100 would probably be about the same, I would recommend a 125 2 stroke and some throttle control. They can be had used for pretty decent prices, too, and they are plentiful. Try a few out and see.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Deffinetly go for a 125. :flame:

Im only 5'5 and 115 lbs. I was going to get a KX-100, but since this wasnt my first bike, I went with a 125 and I love it.

WRXman

Apr 1, 2004
I got the 250x!!!!! ...and its the cats ***

Well I got the 250x about a month ago (the tax return checks were good to me here in NY). This bike is sweet. It took me a little while to get a handle on the power of it for awhile ...but now I got it down, and there hasnt been a mountain i cant handle yet ...and as far as my boys lil MX track I can whip around that too with no problem (I just havent had the balls to hit the double yet). I only have one misgiving ...in the woods (which is 90% of my riding) it sure feels tall. Dependin on the slant im on the lack of bein able to touch the ground that effectively while cornering is takin a hit on my confidence. Ive cut the seat and thats helped some but im debating on havin the front forks lowered 1.5" and gettin a Kouba Link ...has anyone had any experience with this on the 250x?? ....and if so how was your ride after the mod??

Well ive had enough of bein in front of this comp ...im goin ridin .....PEACE

--Jack

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Your boy is wise beyond his years. You are the perfect size for a 250F. Once you got used to it's handling and power delivery, you would be absolutely unstopable on the bike. Don't get the KX 100. That would be the motocross equivalent of mountain biking on a 20-inch BMX bike. If cost is a concern, then go for a 125 motocrosser.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Shig said:
Your boy is wise beyond his years. You are the perfect size for a 250F. Once you got used to it's handling and power delivery, you would be absolutely unstopable on the bike. Don't get the KX 100. That would be the motocross equivalent of mountain biking on a 20-inch BMX bike. If cost is a concern, then go for a 125 motocrosser.

Top Bottom