jblefty

Aug 16, 2001
Hey guys , please help!!
just changed from kawa racing oil to Bel Ray MC1 oil on my slightly modified 97 KDX220 (FMF pipe, RAD valve). Still mixing at 32:1.
Went to my first enduro last week and fouled two plugs in two days on my first tank of gas right before each race. Running NGK Br8ES and it was a little cool (40 degrees) that day. Bike ran great on the Kawa oil but wanted a little cleaner burning oil.
Should I change to a hotter plug or different ratio?
:confused:

Thanks for a great Forum!!

JB

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I use Belray H1R @ 40:1, NGK B8ES plug, and I am jetted properly(as far as I know). I have only fouled one plug and it was after I had lugged around for a long time and then opened the throttle to rev it out. Now I monitor my rpm's and rap it up frequently to clean things out. Have not fouled a plug since. You might retrace your rpm range when the plug fouled and go from there.
Lew

Last edited:

DougMXer

Oct 17, 2001
I'll tell you your problem straight out- You should be mixing Bel Ray MC-1 at 50:1, Its what I've been doing for ages, is the manufactures recommendation and will result in your bike running much more crisply without sacrificing lubrication. Trust me I know

motox

May 21, 2001
I agree with raising your ratio some. I run 44:1 with no problems, now. I use to foul plugs too. It's all in the jetting. Colder weather changes the humity and pressure, thus some of us need to change the jetting. Usually the gas ratio mix doesn't affect fouling as much as jetting, temp, humidity, conditions, plug condition and kind. Try a b7es ($1.59 at advance auto NGK) it is a little hotter. I did change to that to fix my fouling problem. Also quit wasting so much oil at 32:1. Also maby try Mobil 1 mx2 oil, I just switched. Its been reccomended here on the boards and is much cheaper than MC1.

slcyclerace

Feb 10, 2002
I had the same problem with fouling plugs when I switched from Klotz to MC1. I was mixing the Belray at 36:1 and going through plugs like crazy. I didn,t believe it when they said to mix at 50:1. I closed my eyes and used less oil and more gas. Well, two top ends later at 50:1 and everything is much cleaner and happier.I guess it stands to reason that with a synthetic that's so thick ....The Belray Engineers were right. Remember, when you're running less oil, the bike will be running richer so jet accordingly.

Top Bottom