gonzo843

May 24, 2004
Funny you should bring this up. It gave me nothing but problems in my 05. My bike had Golden Spectro in it before and the didnt bond very well or something. I kept slipping out of gear and the clutch seemed to slip alot more. Alot of people like it though. I guess you could try it and see and if you like then...

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
It is Hypoid gear oil-that means it is made for gears cut with a curve in them, like ring and pinion setups in car/truck final drives where the gears run at an offset to each other. For bikes, that oil is intended for shaft drives. Hypoid gears shear oil to bits so oil for them is made to not shear. That raises hell with clutches

Burtonridr250

Dec 11, 2004
Ok I get what your saying now. It's very very thick, and made not to bond well with the clutch. So it's very thick and stiff oil basically, made for clutches used under EXTREME stress?

Thanks

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
No, the problem is that it sticks too well to things--including clutch plates. For the clutch not to slip, most of the oil has to get squeezed out from under them. Hypoid oil won't. It has the exact opposite characteristics that you want in a wet clutch lube. On road bikes with shaft drive they use it ONLY for the shaft housing and do NOT allow it to be in the same case as the clutch.

Lots of people use automotive ATF(automatic transmission fluid) in their bikes and change it often. It is cheap and easy to get. Auto trannies are filled with clutch plates that look just like bike clutches(a set for each gear), so it is a good choice.

That hypoid oil is NOT a good choice for your bike. Use any brand of oil you like, but make sure it says '2stroke trans oil' or 'superior wet clutch protection', or go the ATF route.

Burtonridr250

Dec 11, 2004
Ok. Thanks for your very informative information. Would you recommend I take it out of my bike ASAP, or can I just keep using is until my next tranny oil change is needed? I guess I will just sell the other 11 bottles on ****.

Thanks

Burtonridr250

Dec 11, 2004
Thanks for the info. I just drained my transmission oil, and going to go get some good stuff tomarrow. I don't want to make another thread, so while we are kinda on the topic of oils/lubs, what kinda of 2 stroke mix do you use? I bought a bunch of Yamalube 2-R, my dealer recommended it for my bike.

Thanks

john3_16

May 17, 2004
I would get the hypoid oil out of your bike and sell the rest...

Just use some 10W40 motor oil (avoid if energy conserving is on the label) that doesn't have moly in it and you should be just fine..Change your oil regularly....If you abuse the clutch alot and ride hard change it at least every other ride.

Shouldn't cost you much more than $1.70 for a bottle and your bike will run good and you'll have good reliability...

Burtonridr250

Dec 11, 2004
Damn, a 1.70. The crap they have at my dealer is like 6-7$ :bang:

Yeah, I changed my tranny oil into 30 minutes of my first break in procedures, I couldnt believe the metal chunks I found! I highly advise anyone who gets a brand new bike, change the oil after 20-40 minutes after you first start to ride it. :yikes:

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Burtonridr250 said:
Damn, a 1.70. The crap they have at my dealer is like 6-7$ :bang:

Yeah, I changed my tranny oil into 30 minutes of my first break in procedures, I couldnt believe the metal chunks I found! I highly advise anyone who gets a brand new bike, change the oil after 20-40 minutes after you first start to ride it. :yikes:

Yeah there is a huge mark up for "motorcycle oil" oil at the dealer.

I've used Mobil 10W40 regular motor oil ($1.17) or Castrol in the transmission of my bikes with no issues...Stay away from most 10W30 oils because they are usually "energy conserving" and have additives that can make the clutch slip.

Most owners manuals for MX bikes even recommend just a regular motor oil for the transmission.

It's amazing what you'll find in the oil after just a short ride on a new bike!

Top Bottom