Tom H

Sep 5, 2000
My son managed to bend the shift shaft on our '90 kdx. It is bent at pretty severe angle right where it comes out of the case where the lever mounts. It probably won't slide out. It is a wonder it didn't break the case. Is this gonna be a big deal to fix?

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Since it is bent pretty badly you should consider cutting the bent part off and then you can slide the shaft off. The right side engine cover has to come off and then the shaft assembly is exposed. Basically the shaft passes from one side of the engine to the other without touching anything in the internals of the engine. Hopefully you have a manual so it makes the task easier. Just remember you do NOT have to split cases and this is a small job in relation to other things that can go wrong with kdx's.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
That shift shaft is not very hard. I had one out of a '91. It was bent near the center and was surprislingly easy to staighten. You may want to try and straighten your bent one (if its your kid's bike), but it would probably be better to cut it at the left case, pull it out the right case and replace it. If you have access to a maching shop and welder, it may be possible to make one of your own. Good luck. (No way would I take it to a dealer for this repair. If you can operate a hacksaw and a rachet, you can do this job)

spikes

Jul 12, 2002
I`ve just replaced my gear shaft with a second hand one in good nick. I bought a shaft from a breakers yard longer thn the original, cut and faced it to the correct length on the lathe and put the old one in the lathe and cut away the weld assembled the new sft with the old selector plate and welded it together steadied by a `v` block and `g` clamps. Costs next to nothing and works like a bomb.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom