cazdvr

Aug 29, 2002
Any thoughts on how straightening a bent rear subframe would affect the integrity(strength) of the area? I landed off a jump and crashed with the bike perpendicular to the ground which crushed my Pro Circuit silencer and bent the frame rails up about one inch and slightly twisted them. The mx style rear fender didn't break :-) Any ideas? Thanks.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
I bought a nearly new KDX with the exact same problem. Get out the oxy-acetylene or oxy-propane torch and heat right in the middle of the bends, then crank on it using leverage. I had to cut the rear fender mount in two so I could straighten each side independent of the other. The frame is pretty soft steel so very little strength will be lost if you get it nice and orange. Go just a little bit at a time and work back & forth on each side. It helps to have another KDX to look at as that subframe has some pretty strange shapes to it

tall1

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 1, 2002
I have never had to straighten out a KDX, but I did repair a XR-100 rear sub-frame. The XR looked like it was about two inches off. I was able to fix it in about an hour. I removed the seat, rear fender, and exhaust pipe. I used a 2x4 (about $3.00 at the lumber yard) for a pry bar. I placed the end of the 2x4 near where swing arm pivots, this area is much stronger than the sub frame so the sub frame should bend before the swing arm pivot area will. I had a friend hold on to the bike, then I took an 8 foot long 2x4 and pried the sub frame back to where it was originally. Don't over do it. Pry a little on it at first to get the feel of it. The first few times I pried on it, the frame would just spring back to where it was. Then I kept prying on it a little harder each time and looked at it closely to see if I was moving the frame the way I wanted it to move. Keep prying a little harder each time until it looks right. The length the 2x4 gives a lot of leverage and no torch heat was required. I have about 25 years of metal bending experience so this was an easy fix for me. This repair method may not work in every situation, alot depends on how bad your frame is bent and your own level of metal bending talent.

Top Bottom