magneto

Nov 14, 2001
I can't afford a brand new CR250 so I am thinking about a bike between year models 2000 - 2004. The bike will be modified with MX Tech suspension and a Mo Better Port job (same as my current CR5) plus all the usual addons (skidplate, brush guards etc...)

What year models had electronically controlled PVs? Didn't some of these bikes also have electronic components on the carbs? I assume that I need to stay away from them.

Are there any problem areas specific to these bikes that I need to look at before I purchase?

This bike will be ridden on rough open woods trails by an average rider weighing approx 175 pounds fully suited up. I am looking for a bike that is lighter and easier to restart than my current mount. I also like bottom to mid range power like my current mount.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
2002 and up have the electronic power valve. Some folks don't like them but personally I do because it's a very simple system to maintain and work on. Yes, some mechanical ones work better, but you can't beat how easy it is to work on the RC Valve bikes.

The electronic carbs are back in 97 or so. However, the 2004 and up have a throttle position sensor on them, which makes ditching the stock Mikuni in favor of the Keihin PWK AirStriker carb from a 2000 difficult. However, a JD jetting kit is supposed to solve the Mikuni's problems.

I have a 2000 and a 2002 and I like the 2002 better. It's narrower in the middle and just feels better to me. If I'd never ridden it, the 2000 would be great. However, plastic and such for the 2000 is harder to find than 2002 & up.

My 2002 is Mo Betta ported with a PWK and those two solved any possible complaints I had with the engine. A 10oz Steahly flywheel weight also helped greatly in preventing stalling, as did ditching the aluminum clutch plates for five steel plates.

Just to muddy the waters a bit, I sold the engine out of my 2000 and am in the process of stuffing a CR500 engine in it for the best of both worlds.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom