Best handlebars for wood riding?

Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
Hey All,
I've got a '02 KDX200 and have bent the bars a bit. I'm putting on some Rally Pro handguards this winter and thought I might upgrade the bars while I was at it. Most of the bars seem to be motocross bends for the kx, cr, etc. I do most of my riding in the woods. What would you recommend that might stick a little closer to the stock dimensions? I'm not really looking top of the line, but would like to go to aluminum. Thanks!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Tag X5 CR HI bend are real popular.   IMHO stay away from the rally Pro hand guards and get some real ones at www.enduroeng.com

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I'll second the EE guards. You wouldn't think there could be much difference in a piece of aluminum, but so far these have been tough. I've been waiting for the original KDX bars to get really twisted before I install a 'good' set of bars, but they've not really been tweaked yet. And I think the credit has to go to the handgguards stiffening the bars, because the stock bars are notoriously wimpy.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I've been very happy with my renthal rider (McGrath) bar. No complaints with the FRP brush guards and deflectors. If your willing to spend a little more the pro bends look real nice.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
The bends arent necessarily for mx, but for different riders size and riding position. I am taller, and like to ride in an aggressive over the bars standing position, so I like a rather tall bar with little sweep, just my personal preference. When I owned my KDX, I felt a little cramped and since my '94 didnt have adjustable bar mounts, I had to make the adjustment with the bar bend.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I really like my Renthal Jimmy Button bend bars cut down to 28.5". They have a nice rise to them that is a very comfortable positon.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by Fred T
Tag X5 CR HI bend are real popular.   IMHO stay away from the rally Pro hand guards and get some real ones at www.enduroeng.com

I second that! I run the tag's and love them. EE guard are second to none!~

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
No matter what bend and metal choice you make, you'll have an easier time in tight woods of you cut 1" off each end of the bars. Most bars measure in around 32" and International Tree Spacing Standards specify 30" spacing between trees. It's amazing what a difference those 2" make. Before you make the cut make sure that there's enough bar left to get all of the controls on there.

Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
Thanks for the input, guys. Sounds like the Tag bars are probably the way to go. One comment was made about rider height and style making a difference on how much rise to look for in a set of bars. I'm 5'7", 160 lbs. My riding is getting more aggressive, but my stance doesn't lean too far over the handlebars. Would I want high or low bars? I'll have to think some more about the guards, too. I hadn't really considered EE before, but they look pretty tough. Thanks again for the input!

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
If you can get a copy of the October issue of Trail Rider, there is a good article on set-up. The main point was to have bar position (height & set-back) such that you stand comfortably over the pegs, with arms & legs equally extended.

Right now, to reach the stock bars I need to lean forward & bend down quite a bit, which puts too much weight on my hands. So I need bars with greater height and a bit more set back.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I'd suggest spending the extra money and getting ProTapers though and you'll never have to worry about them again. Its amazing how much vibration they cut down. The Rally Pros will just move every time you crash. Get the EE's and be cool and have your name engraved on each one.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Some old junk thrown in for good measure.

Better chance your mount bushings are tweaked than your handlebars when things just don't look right. By removing the bushings and resetting them, you can 'straighten' the bars.

That issue can be largely resolved with a one piece top clamp. FRP sells 'em.

Check rockymountain's catalog (ask if you don't know how to get one..they're on the web) for oem height, width and pullback. The aftermarket bar specs are listed, too. While it won't tell you what you want, it will tell you how the bars differ from bend to bend...brand to brand.

Chances are pretty good that you'll get used to whatever you get...within reason.

Another btw...the bar mounts can be turned around to move the bar position. The way they are setup stock is probably the best for you (yeah...I know that!). The turn-around part is usually for taller types.

All bars will bend/break/goober sooner or later. Just 'cuz you have tag-x5-renthal-twinwall-demarini-909s or whatever...ride fast enough, fall hard enough and they're gonna get tweaked.

Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
Wow, more great info! I appreciate it.

Canyncarvr,
thanks for the advice - I'll have to double-check and make sure it is indeed the bars that are bent. They're not terrible and I've ridden a couple months on them as is. The throttle side sweeps a little more than the clutch side, but it didn't take much to get used to. I hadn't heard of the rockymountain catalog that you mentioned, so if you could let me know where to find it I'd appreciate it. Thanks again

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
The cycra pro bends are nice, they give you more hands off-on room. I run them with renthal mcgrath replicas, laid back swoop. I have not cut my bars back, I like the extra length when I'm on the tracks playing around.

I have an extra set of pro bends that I am selling real cheap in the classified section if you are interested. :thumb:

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
THis is my new setup:

-metal cone bushings to replace the stock rubbers in the clamp
-Protaper mounting kit with the 1 piece top clamp
-Randy Hawkins Woods hi bar
-SRC fork mount for the handgaurds
-Acerbis rally Pro units

The hawkins bars are short! 30" stock. It has a bit more pullback than I am use to. For vibration, there is hardly more than stock. I dont have a lot of time on the new bars, but can tell you more on Sunday after a full days ride in the woods.

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
i run the 909 cr hi bend, i love them and they are the oversize pro taper type. i race the GNCC's and ride in the woods all the time. i run this bend bar on my kdx and on my kx 250. for the kdx i run EE bark busters with Cyrca hand shields. cant bet this set up

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
If you guys are interested... HERE is a handlebar spec sheet that used to order my bars. Compliments on RockyMoutainMC! :cool: I love these guys! :worship: By the way.... I ordered the Pro Racing Mini Bends, they have a height of 5" which helps me while standing.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Originally posted by Matt90GT
THis is my new setup:

-metal cone bushings to replace the stock rubbers in the clamp
-Protaper mounting kit with the 1 piece top clamp
-Randy Hawkins Woods hi bar
-SRC fork mount for the handgaurds
-Acerbis rally Pro units

The hawkins bars are short! 30" stock. It has a bit more pullback than I am use to. For vibration, there is hardly more than stock. I dont have a lot of time on the new bars, but can tell you more on Sunday after a full days ride in the woods.

After getting a few good rides with the new setup, I am extremely please. There is no more vibration than with the rubber inserts. The narrower bars are great and the pullback is not noticeable at all anymore, especially when going through the trees.

The ProTapers are definately worth the money. Good bar for sure! Also with the inserts and top single piece clamp, the 4 times the bike tipped over today, nothing moved which is super nice!

Top Bottom