Best pipe and silencer for MX track ? "02 KDX"

Pretzel

Dec 30, 2001
Hello,
All of the differnt pipes on the market have my head spinning.

Wich type is best for use on a MX style track and a Tip silencer to go along with it ?

THANKS !

02 KDX
Pretzel

kdxme

Apr 7, 2002
I asked Sage a question similar to yours and this is what he had to say. I hope this will help you out.

So, first off the fit & finish of the PC is hands down the best of the systems, the FMF looks nice, the PC looks better, the PC fit, the FMF took some work....

-Tests are done on a highly modified 99 KDX 220-

FMF torque - good low end, ok mid, no top, peak is between low & mid rpm range

FMF rev - slightly less low end, strong mid, good top, lots of over rev, peak is a bit flat but very wide

PC - slightly less low end power than rev, very strong mid, strong top end power, slightly less over rev than the FMF rev but peak power feels much higher than the flatter peak of the FMF rev.

All in all the FMF torque is out of the question for a rider above the novice level, for a very slow, non aggressive new rider the torque pipe would be for you. The FMF rev is a good all a round pipe for faster woods riding and racing, the peak power is down a bit so in a all out drag race you may fall back to the guy using the PC that knows how to shift right. The PC is better suited for the aggressive faster rider that doesn't get lazy and knows how to keep the bike in its slightly narrower power band. The type of rider that would like the PC pipe would be the fast guy with the big carb and purpose built engine and a "Take no prisoners" attitude.

After using all 3 systems I feel that the best one for me is the PC, I ride my KDX more like a 125 and very rarely use the low end, I'm looking for mid, top & peak power. I used the FMF rev for quite a while and admire the fact that if you get lazy it will allow that, it will pull itself back from the "lazy" zone with very little to no clutch, it has a nice flat power curve where the PC has a very noticeable sweet spot of rapid acceleration. As for the FMF torque, its not for me, the power is not where I need it to be, its good for tooling around in the pit or down a slow trail but if you want to ride aggressively the option is not there.

For race or trail use above the intermediate level I would suggest the PC.

For race or trail use below the intermediate level I would suggest the FMF rev.

For a new rider or a rider that never gets past 1/2 throttle I would recommend the FMF torque

Talk to you tuesday, Sage

- Get to our new forums now and reserve your Log-in name while you still can!
- Be informed of Sales and Group Purchases
- Live Chat
- Free Classified

Sage's Dirt & Street
1917 NE 2nd St
Bend, Or 97701
(541)-389-DIRT (3478)
www.sagesdirtandstreet.com

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Originally posted by kdxme
All in all the FMF torque is out of the question for a rider above the novice level, for a very slow, non aggressive new rider the torque pipe would be for you.

I disagree. For the 200, the K-35 is the way to go, wether you're a beginner or agressive. A 220 needs a K-30.

Ytown Dbike

Apr 3, 2002
Yes you will loose low end going to a pc, but well worth it for the huge gain in mid and top end power, and yes it will still have much more torque than a 125(judging from my experiences).

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I don't think there's anythig that you can do, short of removing the KIPS valve, that would make a KDX has less torque than a 125 :eek:

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
"All in all the FMF torque is out of the question for a rider above the novice level"

Depends where you are riding.I run the FMF torque pipe on my 220 so I can get as much tractor power as possible for slow tight trails,steep hills and rocky areas.I like to keep the bike moving without stalling or spinning the wheel plus it also requires a lot less clutch work.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
KDXME,
How do these pipes compare to the stock pipe on the KDX220? Your description of the FMF torque sounds just like the stock pipe. Is there a difference? Does the FMF rev give less low end than the stock? I'm sure the mid and high would be better. I'm also trying to decide on a pipe. I WOULD LIKE TO GET AN INCREASE IN LOW, MID, AND HIGH RPM POWER. Is this too much to ask for?? Would the FMF rev come close? Ytown Dbike says the Pro Circuit has less low end than the stock but much more mid and high. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom L.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
Tom L. I also wanted more power every where on my 220, with giving up any bottom end. I went a head got the torque pipe, yes it did increase my bottom end. I can now chugg through places in a higher gear with out stalling, if needed. But don't expect any increase at all on the top end, it still falls flat on the top end. But after hearing CC. rave about the Delta Force II, I gave it a try. The DF II gave my bike more on top end and I still have more bottom end then a stock 220. Performance wise I am very happy with my bike at this time, hope this helps.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Thanks Davidg!! That sounds like the ticket!! I hadn't even considered the Delta Force II. I thought FMF (torque and rev) and Pro Circuit were the only choices out there!!

Tom L.

JSTUCKI

Jul 8, 2002
Why did you buy a KDX? My 2002 KDX220 is an outstanding woods mount but was never meant for motocross. Can't you pin heads ever get it in your head to buy the type of motorcycle for the riding your going to do. Constant questions about motocrossing KDX's. Put a FMF Gnarly on your bike and drop the needle one notch and go ride the thing in the woods. And remember that a KX can be ridden on the trails easier than a KDX can ever be motocrossed. You will spend a fortune for hop-ups and never have a motocross bike. Sell your KDX and buy a KX and put a headlight on it!

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
You might try the set-up I'm using: CarbonTech Low tension reeds (for more bottom), and a P.C. pipe. Gives the best of all worlds. More bottom, mid, and top end then stock. And air box mod, of course.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
Tom L. it sounds like I might have confused you a bit. I'm still using the fmf torque pipe, the DF II is new reed cage for the bike. Using both together got me my results. The best part of the DF II is it has two tension settings, one for bottom and top end.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I was definitely confused!! No wonder I couldn't find any info on Delta Force II pipes!!! Anyway, I understand now. You use the reeds to compliment the pipe. Thanks for the suggestions everybody!!

Tom L.

Pretzel

Dec 30, 2001
JSTUCKI,

I have 2 KDX200s. One I use in the woods and the second I decied to change over to MX just to play on the track.

The 2nd KDX was such a good deal I couldnt pass it up. Even with all the new mods I will never come close to the price of a new KX.

Cheers !

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom