Best Pipe & Spark Arrestor combo for '02 CR250R?

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering what you folks consider as the best pipe & spark arrestor combo for an '02 CR250R? I have Mr. Gorr's book, but it only covers up to the '00 models in it. I'm looking for an all-around kind of set-up and will probably spring for a Mo Betta Everywhere port job at some point in the future on it. I've also got a V-Force reed set-up in the bike right now. I also plan on swapping to all-steel clutch plates and will probably also add a flywheel weight in the future. I mostly trail ride, but it may see an MX track once or twice on a practice day, just so I can say I did it. I know the stock Honda pipes are pretty highly regarded in his book and I still have the stocker if that's the way to go (once I fix the dents in it), but if that's the case I'll also need a spark arrestor to go with it. As for the spark arrestor, I'm looking at the louder models, not the 93db "Q" spark arrestors. I also have a Cobra slip-on spark arrestor to use on the stock silencer, but I'd kind of like something a little more "polished" if you follow me.

So, what do you folks think? FMF Fatty? Pro Circuit? Bill's? Stock Honda pipe and something aftermarket?

Sorry for the double-post, but I put it in the Forward Motion section first and then thought that it might not get as much exposure in that area than in here.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Everything I see about the CR 250 says the stock pipe is tough to beat. Having said that, I have been guilty of buying a pipe or two...My 97 YZ 250 is old enough that pipes go for very little on ****.

I would have a hard time recommending an FMF pipe. I bought a FMF Gnarly as well as a Fatty for my YZ 250. The gnarly pipe would barely fit.I had to hand bend the bracket to lien it up. Even still, the silencer hangs at an angle. Not bad, but nothing to be proud of. It also had a very rough outside finish. Some of the weld spatter was sharp enough to cut a finger with. The fatty had to be returned. The bracket refused to line up. I was also dissappointed in the FMF silencer when I was ready to re-pack it. The quality inside the silencer was very poor.

The pro Circuit pipe I had on the bike had a much nicer finish and the fit was perfect.

There was not a great deal of performance difference between any of the pipes. The best performing pipes for my bike was an old Noleen that is great on the lower end, and an old SPES that adds a little power everywhere.

If I were forced to recomend something I would say Pro Circuit. They fit, plain and simple. They also offer technical service and a number to cal if you need jetting help.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
The only thing I dislike about the Pro Circuit pipes is that the plating doesn't hold up worth ****. After two rides (and two washes), my Platinum pipe looks like a two year old FMF. My buddy's Pro Circuit is the same way.

But, it definitely fit like it was OEM.

-Pace

Jeffro426

Mar 16, 2003
Ive never had any problems with FMF and have bought a few pipes and silencers from them over the years, but my last 250 i had, had a Bills pipe on it and i really liked it. The fit and finish were top notch and it seemed to liven up the mid and top range a bit vs the stock pipe...if i put a pipe on my 04 CR, it will probably be a bills.

Top Bottom