SATxMotoX

Sponsoring Member
Feb 6, 2001
My apologies if this has been visited before...I admit that I didn't do an extensive search for similar topics... :)

In any case, I'm getting back into the sport after a nice little 1st turn get-off that resulted in multiple bone fractures about 18 months ago. I'm currently riding an 87 KX 250 that's mucho fun to rip around in but I'm really starting to lean toward the 4stroke side of things. Why? Personal preference I suppose is the only reason...I just like the sound of THUMP!

So, researching for solid used 4 strokers has led me to ponder which of the available bikes might actually be the best deal. I've considered the following list of bikes and was wondering if you all would weigh in on what you know to be the pros/cons and/or any suggestions for bikes I've not yet considered.

2001-2002 YZ250F
2000-2002 YZ426F
1998-1999 YZ400F

General info: I'm 5'10", 200lbs, Beginner/Novice, MX riding. I'm also looking to stay in the sub-$4k range on price.

Thanks in advance.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Well lets see hear:
First of all you have a 2 class thing going here. The 250f is a 125 class bike and it is the ONLY real choice for a competitive 4 stroker inthe 125 class at this time (the CRF is coming though). There have been some issues with these inthe crank pin arena... AWESOME bike though! Power curve that will make ANY 125 jealous!
The 250 class MX is where the other bikes youlisted fall. Personally if I were going Yam and not buying the new 450 I would opt for a 426 just because Yamaha is ALWAYS making improvements and the 400 to 426F's are proof of this!
CRF450 is where I would lay my money - MAGIC is this ones middle name!
And then you have KTM (AWESOME) but they continue to have suspention issues, VOR (I had the 400mx - really cool bike but I couldnt get parts!), and now that C-Dale is no longer in business you can get them CHEAP!
Sounds like you are in for a lot of fun choosing :) :)
By the way, glad your beter and WELCOME back!
Woodsy

SATxMotoX

Sponsoring Member
Feb 6, 2001
Thanks for the response...

I know I covered 2 different classes of bikes. That's really unimportant to me at this point as I'm more a recreational rider right now rather than someone who has to pay attention to what class he's in.

I'm sorta leaning toward a 250F...I like the idea of a slightly smaller/lighter bike that still has a smidgen of power delivery like my older KX does. Also, I'm subscribing to the belief that this bike might be the better one to re-learn (maybe properly this time...no promises though) how to ride RIGHT!

In any case...the jury is still out and any feedback would be greatly appreciated on the consensus of where's the best place to put my money.

Thanks again.

TrailDale

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 14, 1999
Opinions and thoughts from a recreational MX rider and 01 250F owner:
The 250F is going to be about the same weight as your KX250.
That really helps with the fatigue factor is very noticable compared to the 400-426. Of course the 426 power delivery can be tiring. I think that it was Dirt Rider that called the new 450F an "arm pump machine" or something similar. Anyway, the weight and power delivery of the 250F will be a noticable change from the 400-426.

You will not get hole shots with the 250F if you race in an age class.

Is winning the race or having fun your first priority?
Winning = 400-426
Fun = 250F

To ride the 250F fast, you won't be able to rely solely on the throttle - you'll have to be smooth and carry your momentum - which may make you into the better rider you said you'd like to be.

Two possible scenairios:
1) You get the 250F. You're 10th coming out of the first corner. You have plenty of energy for the full moto, and pass your way up to 4th or 5th, and finish strong while others fade.
2) You get the hole shot on the 426. After several laps, the power and weight start getting to you, and a couple riders get by you. You fade to 4th or 5th and are whipped buy the end of the race.

You get the same trophy in both cases. How do you feel about the day?

I'm sure that there are plenty of 426 riders that handle the bike and power without any problem, and maybe a 250F's power may leave you feeling flat, after racing a 250 2-stroke. Ride one if you can.

Last edited:

TriPower

Apr 3, 2001
I'm 34, your size and weight, and I currently own both a 2001 YZ250F and 2003 CRF450. If I had to have only one bike, it would be the 250F. That bike is just a blast to ride! The power of the little thumper will really suprise you, because the mags make it out to run like a 125 that has to be revved to the moon all the time. Not true! It's the ultimate dual-purpose MX/trail bike. The power comes on very low and pulls forever. It's not as powerful as the 450s, but for 95% of the situations I ride in it's perfect.

Top Bottom