Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
You mean Big Bend National Park?

I assume so anyway ....

There are many "roads" to explore, but do not get off of the roads and onto any of the trails etc., that you might see. Motorized vehicles are prohibited from everywhere except imrpoved roadbeds. I have not found anything in their literature regarding prohibiting non-licensed vehicles, and I did see some folks on DP bikes there last spring. I figure they wouldn't say much if you are not tearing up virgin ground. The gravel road across the bottom of the park is 60+ miles in length, never mind the side roads to explore. Take lots of gas and spare parts because it is a long way back to a bike shop.

Try and arrive early morning at Panther Junction to reserve a camping spot. You probably want to stay close to the paved roads, if you are pulling a trailer. On the gravel road leading west from the road to Rio Grande Village comes to mind.

Rebel XR4

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 30, 1999
Join the Trail Riders of Houston. They sponser a great Ride every October there: The Terlingua Dual Sport. Awsome. It's part of the AMA / Suzuki Nat'l series. Even though I live back East I did that ride in 2000 and 2001. You will get to see a bunch of stuff you could never find on your own. The "roads" all through the park are great as well. The River Road that skirts the Rio Grand around the southern part of the park is stunning, and is basically a gravel, sand, trail anyway, not much of a road. Contact the park @ (915) 477-2251 for info. National Geographic also makes a great waterproof map of the park. Check your local outdoor store.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Calcaneus
Rebel, do you know if your bike has to be street legal?

My question exactly, everyone that I know that has been the BBNP has been on a DP bike that was legal. I want to take my 400MXC out there.

I have driven the road Rebel described in my Suburban and it is beautiful. I want to ride it on a bike.

Rebel XR4

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 30, 1999
Teeds and Cal-c...

My two rides out there were with the help of wonderful friends from the area that let me use their TX legal XR 400 and KTM 520's. You don't have to have a "proper" Dual Sport type machine to get legal in many states and areas. With a few mods you can get a license. There are also other options about getting a tag for your bike. In the BBNP area I have never seen any real big deal about it anyway as long as you are respectiful of the place. Besides, once you are out there you are OUT there. This is not a crowded place for a reason. It is WAY the hell off the beaten path. Don't ride any hiking trails and just stay on the "roads" and you will have a blast. Besides, if you are not used to desert riding you will probably croak anyway and it will not matter. This is a beautiful area, but is is harsh and you have to be prepared. If you don't have water, tools, and the ability to change tires in 100 degree temps you might have a bad time. But get preped and go for it, you will not regret it. Teeds, how did you crash at Dirt Week?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Rebel XR4
Teeds, how did you crash at Dirt Week?

It was a really freek accident on a new bike. Lowsided in a sand wash turn and pinned my foot vertically under the bike. Toes couldn't hold up the bike on my heel, so they broke ... better now, except for confidence. My 400 may be too much for anything except places like BBNP. That is what I want to do anyway. I spent a night at Talley last winter and drove the River Road in my Suburban. It is beautiful out there. I have a project in Fort Stockton, so I am there every few weeks. That part of the state is beautiful to me.

Thanks for the info re: street legal. I figured that no one would push you as long as you don't make too much noise. I just didn't want to drag my bike 500 miles to find out I had to go somewhere else. There are a multitude of gravel roads (county) leading out to the various ranches to explore as well. Of course, one must not forget the La Kiva to wash away the dirt in the evenings. Terlingua has not changed much, but Lajitas has "grown up" since the moneyboy from Austin bought it. Hopefully he will loose interest. Jets and golf courses are not a good fit with that part of the world.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Hey CalamariRacer- A couple of guys, CSL, and I just got back from the Big Bend area. We rode dual sport bikes (dirt bikes with plates) from Del Rio, TX -> through Coahuila and Chihuahua Mexico -> to Presidio, TX. On the way back, we went from Presidio along the river to get into Big Bend. That was an absolutely awesome ride!!! I wish I would have know that you and your wife wanted to ride there and I would have contacted ya'll earlier. POOP!

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
Have to be licensed in BBNP. I've ridden it on dual sports but a ranger chased my kdx back to the trailer. I'm interested in the roads outside the park.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
jirvine - Thanks for the input. I kinda figured that was the case if the Rangers saw you. Darn.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I've ridden the Terlingua D/S a couple times and done some riding around that area. You should have a plate if you plan to do any riding in Big Bend Nat'l Park or around the Study Butte/Terlingua/Lajitas area. Stay on county roads and don't go riding in Terlingua Ranch unless you are with a land owner. Every time I've ridden in that area there was conflicts with local land owners. There's quite a few of the "artist" types who've moved to that area in order to get away from it all. They do not like off-road motorcycles. Beware of your surroundings, don't ride over your head or beyond your line of sight.

Top Bottom