BigBologna

Nov 1, 2005
I recently moved to a more rural area and am looking to get back into riding. The last bike I owned was a Honda 75, about 20 years ago when I was a kid. One of my biggest concerns is finding a bike that fits me well. See my height and weight below.

It seems like winter will be a good time to get a deal on a bike. I am inclined to buy a used bike but would look at a new bike for the right deal.

I looked at the advice post at the top and have the following answers to the questions. Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to give.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'4", 200 lbs.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I have ridden mountain bikes aggressively for the past fifteen years or so. I think that if you don't crash, you're not riding hard enough.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
I will probably ride in the woods, on challenging trails

4) Do you have any riding experience?
Yes. I rode off road a lot as a kid back on the farm. I rode on road from about 15 years ago until about 5 years ago.

5) Do you think you will race ?
No.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes and yes. My dad is a TV repairman and has a killer set of tools. :D

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I have owned Honda and Yamaha in the past and have had positive experiences. However, I am more interested in getting the right bike than sticking with a particular brand. I would like the reduced maintenance of a 4-stroke engine.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
No dealer preference but I know that all four Japanese brands are available locally. Not sure about any others.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
I'd like to stay around five grand for a new bike and about half that if used.

10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
If anyone has other online resources or magazines that I should take a look at, please let me know.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Yamaha WR450F would probably fit the bill. If you buy brand new, it's pretty corked up so the power will be rather timid, which is probably good until you get a little experience. Once you've gained some experience, there's a list of easy mods that have significant power increases.

Another option is the Honda XR400R. How aggressive do you plan on being?

Also, don't discount two-strokes. Bikes like the KTM300EXC are very reliable and make GREAT trail machines. They are lighter and make good power for aggressive trail riding. They are also competitive out of the box for racing if you decide you want to try racing. Good luck.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
It shounds like your a pretty aggressive guy and plan to ride like it so I would be looking at Yamaha WR450F, Honda CRF450X or a KTM300EXC. Something to consider is that as far as maintenance for your use it wouldn't be too bad but these new breed of 4 strokes aren't like your Honda 75 that could go for years without any attention.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'll go the other direction and suggest a Honda CRF250X ... mainly because I'm your size (weight, but only 6-1)and just made my first real venture into a multi-mile wooded course and absolutley loved that bike. Plenty of power to go a lot faster than I wanted to, light, nimble... etc. All the suggestions so far are good, IMHO.

Top Bottom