fatNINJA

Jun 5, 2003
Well since they don't like where I put this on the forum last time, lets try it again here...

Well I've finally got to the point where I can afford a dirt bike, my problem is that I'm a big guy. As it is I tip the scales at 360 lbs.

Are there any stock bikes that will hold me? I'm not looking for something for competitive racing or any big jumps and such, just something to play around on.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
MX bikes are made very well these days, so I think any 250-500 cc MXer from the last 10 years would be fine.

When/if I get my CRF450 back together you're welcome to come down to Chester and try it. Surprisingly, the '03 CRF450 stock is properly sprung for me (230-240).

fatNINJA

Jun 5, 2003
Thanks, but sadly that new of a bike is almost certainly out of my price range. Right now I'm looking at a mid '80s model XR 500.

I'd rather just go to a dealer and finance something new, but when the economy tanked so did my job and credit. I'm debt free now, but it seems I mangeled my credit in the process. Oh well, such is my life.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I can attest to the bikes being able to handle the load. :) You are a shade bigger than me, but as others have seen, not by much ;)
I had an 84 cr500 that worked just fine, and now I'm riding a 98 CR500 That hasn't had a problem carrying me around for over a year now. This includes hitting (and sometimes even landing) up to 40 ft jumps. Whatever you get, you will need to spend the money on springs front and rear. That is the only mod that you must do. Other than that, ride on!

jlpier01

Sep 4, 2002
I had similar issues, I am 6'1 and weigh 300. I just bought a KLX 400. I looked at some older XR650's but they were just too big and heavy for me. How tall are you?

fatNINJA

Jun 5, 2003
About 6'5" and wide as hell in the shoulders. It's kinda funny in a way, my gut fits OK in a 2X shirt but I usually have to wear a 4X for my shoulders.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
It's not a matter of not liking where you posted... it's pretty simple to grasp. When asking what bike to get, the "what bike do I get" forum is where to post it.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
...pretty simple to grasp.

If you know it exists....

I've been here for a few months in "Canadian Dave's JustKDX" but I did not wander out here until recently, I'm still finding new forums here.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom