traffic

Nov 29, 2012
Hi, I bought a bike for my young son to ride last year and now I want to ride with him. I'm new to riding. 170 lbs and 6 ft tall. I'm thinking street legal although 9 times out of 10 I will be on the trail near the Rockies. I'm thinking drz 400 or wr 250. Lots of my buddies ride so i would like to at least keep up with their dust trail. Something like that. Any suggestions? Thanks front a new dirt rider.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Welcome!

The DRZ will be a little tamer and slightly more road worthy but also heavier. You'd be more likely to overheat the WR riding with a small/slow kid.

There's a whole forum for what bike to get and I'll move this there to hopefully get more responses.

traffic

Nov 29, 2012
Thanks HLG! I certainly want the lightest bike thats reasonable. I also need one "capable" of keeping up with some riding buddies. Do you know if the street legal series of bikes tend to be of lower compression and thereby possibly cooler running? On my list are pretty much all 250's...Husqvarna te 250, kawasaki KLX 250, WR as mentioned, Honda 250. KTM would be good but a little expensive.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
AFAIK the WR and CRFX have the same compression as their MX sounterparts. The cam profile and timing may be a little different but otherwise they are very similar. Not sure but I believe the same is tru of the KXL250. Don't know anything about the TE.The CRF230 and DRZ400 are both more closer to trail bikes while the WR and CRFX 250s are closer to MX bikes.

Any of those bikes will be able to keep up with your friends. The rider is the big limiting factor.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I liked my DRZ for play riding the roads, it was too heavy and awkward for tight trails. I spent silly amounts of money setting it up and never really got it where I wanted it off road. I'm looking for a KTM 200xc/exc to plate for next season. I realized, for what I do, a lighter, quicker, better handling bike is what I need. I still want to be able to take it out around town if I feel like it though and KTMs are pretty much the only dirt bikes that come with "motorcycle" titles so they're much easier to get plated.

traffic

Nov 29, 2012
Up here in Alberta, the bike has to be factory street legal to plate for on-road use so my options are thin. I can convert an off-road bike but the inspection process is something I don't want to do. So I agree with you that I want it as light as possible and jus
t barely street legal enough to ride to and from trails.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom