Big Wheel bikes and Mini class at Harescrambles

mmuzzillo

May 15, 2002
Can an RM85L (big wheel) bike run in the AMA Harescrambles in the 85cc mini class?
Does anyone know "for sure"? I'm getting different answers from different people about this.

The AMA rule book says "17inch" max front tire.

I know for sure that the XR100 and TT125 bikes have 19inch tires, and they are allowed in this class with the youth.

Anyone know about this ruling?

Thanks

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Because no one else replied I will give you my unofficial take on this.

The rule book is quite clear on this however some districts may go ahead and allow these other bikes to run. Probably because while they don't conform to the rules they are really not competitive bikes compared to an all out race bike.

Just a guess.

FFRacing11x

Nov 23, 2002
There are several reasons why the Big Wheels to not meet the rules for the 85 mini class. They are not considered minicycles as their wheelbase is more than 51" plus the fact over the tire sizes.
But as Layton said, the promoter might make some exceptions against the rule book.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
FFRacing11x said:
There are several reasons why the Big Wheels to not meet the rules for the 85 mini class. They are not considered minicycles as their wheelbase is more than 51" plus the fact over the tire sizes.
But as Layton said, the promoter might make some exceptions against the rule book.

Plus the Big Wheel is actually legal in big bike classes in some districts.

Remember that the AMA rules are a guide line for Districts to follow. They can write thrie own specific rules.

FFRacing11x

Nov 23, 2002
MikeS said:
Remember that the AMA rules are a guide line for Districts to follow. They can write thrie own specific rules.

This statement is actually incorrect. The AMA rules are meant to be followed, The specific rules you refer to are called "supplemental" rules, and they are not SUPPOSE to conflict with the AMA rules. Why some districts chose to be AMA and then make their own rules up is beyond me and frustrating. When my daughter was an amateur, we traveled all over the country racing, and these supplemental rules made it very difficult to follow and be legal everywhere we traveled.
Bottom line is the AMA rules overide and stand above any district or promotor rule, if you wish to push the issue.

Top Bottom