Sherby24501

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2004
Hi

My daughter is just had her first half a year of dirtbiking and has had a blast. She was riding a big wheel LX3 recreational LEM (01). We took the 50ccparts.com training and she has done a couple of 50cc exhibition races at Hare Scrambles in D14.

For next year I was thinking of leting her ride in the ladies 1 Hr races (max 150cc 4 Stroke or 105cc 2 Stroke).

My question is what to let her have next, I was leaning toward a KX100 or and RM100 as this is as big as she can go with out the weight of a 4 stroke, but am concerned it might be too much bike. Anybody with experience please weigh in.

Thanks

Sherby

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
tough question, I have nieces and nephews at that same age (3@11) I am transitioning them from a KLX110 to a TTR125LE (larger wheels) one of them can handle it now, the other two should be able to next summer. I don't think any of them have the apptitude to handle a 100 cc 2t. As always it depends on the rider, only you know best.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Honda XR/CRF 100. They learn the clutch, it fits them for a while and it ain't too scary.

madmathew

Oct 31, 2005
KTM has all kinds of bikes for kids now. Theres several different models that should work, you would be the best judge of which perticular model.

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
ttr or crf are good choices.a kx or rm is way too much bike my 14 year old is on a kx 85 it does about 55 or 60 with me on it and i weigh about 175.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Among all the recommendations, I'd like to chime in with the CRF150, IF she can fit it. It's a little taller than the CRF100 and TTR125, but the handling, motor and suspension are way above the others. I just picked one up for my 13 year old daughter and she loves it. My wife now wants one to replace her XT225 now too. It's more money than the others, but it's performance can help justify the price difference.

One other benefit I've notice in the short time we've had it over the others is that it's easier to start and get warmed up. Moving the carb needle up one notch made all the difference in the world. It's now a one or two kick start and warm-up is quick.

Clutch pull is also much lighter than some, easier foer a kid, especially when compared to the CRF100.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
I don't know about this stuff, but I've always thought the CRF150 was a bit of a heavy pig compared to the TTR125. Is the CRF performance really that much better than the TTR125 (the one with the disk brake)?

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
bbarel said:
I don't know about this stuff, but I've always thought the CRF150 was a bit of a heavy pig compared to the TTR125. Is the CRF performance really that much better than the TTR125 (the one with the disk brake)?

I think there is nearly a fifty pound difference between the two bikes.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
One thing the TTR has in it's favor is the button. Nothing better to discourage a new rider than by having to kick a bike until they are blue in the face. I know electric start was an option, but I think all of the blue bikes have it standard now, even the 90s.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Resale values are pretty good on well maintained XR/CRF's and TTR 125's. Please don't underestimate the value of learning gradually and progressively! I have seen many enthusiastic MC learners become intimidated and reluctant from making too large of a jump in size or performance. Give her another opportunity to learn & master to build confidence. That's why I have the collection of bikes I do. My 10 & 13 y.o.daughters ( and wife ) can pick the bike they feel comfortable on at any time. ( I have a CRF 150 now and it does feel larger & heavier than the TTR 125). :ride:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
bbarel said:

Note I said IF she's big enough. I've ridden all of the little bikes this summer when looking for a new bike for my wife and daughter, and even though the 150 and 125 get lumped together, I would consider the CRF150 between the Yamaha and Honda 230's and the TTR-125 and CRF100. I wouldn't write what I did without a comparison, I don't think it's fair to post something I don't know. Look at the specs, especially the suspension travel. Or better yet ride them for yourself so you would know about this stuff.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Heck, they are all great bikes. You can't go wrong with any of them. The nice part about the big wheel 125's and 150's is they will never be outgrown. Someone in the family will always want to ride them. :nod:

Consider the girl's perspective. If you let an eleven year old girl choose, she will pick the bike she is most comfortable on. Nothing else matters, except maybe the color. That's why my eleven year old daughter continues to ride a 1986 XR100R even though she probably could ride a bigger and/or newer bike. Besides, if she is happy riding the old XR, it saves me from having to spend money on a new one! ;)

It's a shame she was not a TF this past weekend. There was a whole field full of little bikes to test ride.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I think I will take this in a little different direction.. If I am TOTALLY off base please dont follow me, I dont need help getting lost :yikes:
I have sold a number of LEMS, small KTM's, Cobra's and the like thru the years.. I have found the larger versions of these machines to be AWESOME little RIPPERS that get with the program RIGHT NOW!!
Is this what she is used to?? Is she used to the pipeyness of a race bred LEM?? If so, she would not be happy on a 4 stroke!!
Sooo, that out on the table.. The KX100 is a much friendlier bike to ride. Its motor is no where near as pipy as the RM.. Keep in mind that because there is no 100cc class in MXen the resale on them is devalued.. They depreciate badly compared to an 85 or a 125.. The 85cc are REALLY fun bikes too.. If she were my daughter and she was ready for 2 stroke power (dont laugh guys, I have seen 9 year olds RIP on those FLYING little KX60's) I would get her looking at bikes that FIT her stature and skill and then let her pick it out!! I envy you and miss those days!!
Woodsy

Sherby24501

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2004
Thanks for all the input, seems that having a bike to match her outfit (red) seems to be a key driver !

I likes the KX100 cause its so big, but likely to be softer than an 85 (ANY MAKE).

She tried a RM110Z (KLX110 clone) and hated it !

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
Years and years ago I went from a small wheeled Kaw 90ccto a large wheeled Yam 100 yz in the mid 70's. Huge difference in seat height and performance. The only way I could touch was to put one leg's thigh on the seat then I could reach the ground with the other leg. Performance was a real eye opener; but I had little in the way of skill to keep it on the pipe so I really couldn't get into too much trouble. Course that all changed very quickly as the suspension and wheel size advanced my riding skills more than any other bike change EVER. The only way I could kickstart the bike was on the kickstand.. for a couple years.

My son is in a similar position. He is 12 years old and rides a DS 80 cc 2 stroke. I've looked at the Honda 100 and the Yam TTR125 and both seem like excellent trail bikes. But the heft/weight of each trouble me. That said we will be going with the KAW KX100 or the KTM 105 (it's back). Course the KTM is out iff I can't find a larger tank for it.

my 2 cents.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom