MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Has anyone ever dealt with or heard of Bikeline? I got a quote from them today, and they are WAY cheaper than State Farm and Progressive. The web site is www.insuranceforcycles.com I can actually afford to insure my street bike w/full coverage. Also, for those who have their dirt bikes insured, what kind of coverage do you put on them? After reading about so many bikes being stolen, I'm thinking about insuring my CR. Any help I would appreciate.
-Tracie-

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Tracie - I have both my dirt bikes insured on my homeowners policy. This covers, loss to theft, fire, "act of god" etc, as well as damage due to accident, liability, and carries a $500 deductible. Unfortunatley, due to the nature of "recreational vehicles" getting replacement value is rather spendy, if even available through your insurance carrier. Mine runs me $286 a year for the two bikes. Kinda high, I know, I need to do some shopping.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Rooster: The quote the lady at bikeline said for my CR it would be $436 w/a $250 ded. I think that was "full" coverage..if that is even possible for a dirtbike..Says my bike is only "worth" $2200 (blue book or something...) What does the blue book or whatever know about a race bike? They have no idea how much it costs to replace some stuff on a bike...

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
$436 seems like a bunch, like at least a couple hundred too much :think: Try Dairyland, I was quoted in the low 2s last time I checked, but then, the next year they jacked the premium way up on my Buell for no reason that had anything to do with me. I believe Progressive was high in the dirt catagory, and I won't be getting any quotes from them now or ever anyways as their chairman, Peter Lewis, has joined Hungarian born George Soros in an attempt to buy the US presidential election by donating $12 million to left wing extremist political groups like moveon.org. Soros is up around $15 million so far fwiw.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Insurance policies and rates, even with the same company, vary state to state. I used to insure my dirt bikes through Progressive, but dropped them because they were passing on a $100 surcharge due to an interpretation of a Michigan-specific insurance law. Otherwise their rates were good.

I checked with State Farm, and although they did NOT assess the same surcharge, they required collision coverage, so the resulting premium was about the same as Progressive.

I'm now with Bike-Line (Markel). They do not assess the special Michigan surcharge, and do not require collision coverage. Here's my coverage:

Liability: 100/300/50K (you could go less if you don't own home)
Comprehensive (fire, theft). $250 deductible
Accessory / Aftermarket Parts Coverage: $1,000
Premium: $117 per year
Bike: '04 KTM 200exc

Unfortunately Bike-Line does not insure kid's bikes, i.e. generally anything under 150cc. Their web site does list some smaller bikes, but if you call direct and try to get coverage on them, you'll be denied.

FWIW, I don't think you need collision coverage on a dirt bike.

Also, if you have loan on the bike, some lien holders require full coverage, which can be an unnecessary expense.

Last edited:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I got my quote from Bikeline today, basically it costs me double of what I am paying through state farm, but for full coverage...At my age (21) though, it's really hard to find decently priced insurance. When I was in my accident last Sept. State Farm paid for all of my medical expenses. But, my truck insurance covered everything...

bikeline quoted me $800 for the year, I do understand this is mostly because of my age, and my lack of "street" riding experiance. Although, I would like to insure my CR, but my State Farm agent is telling me that they don't insure dirt bikes...

Guess I'm pretty much stuck until I'm 25

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom