freydog

Nov 17, 1999
Is there an insurance company that covers off road bikes?

State Farm home owners insurance does not cover ORV's. Also, since ORV's are not street legal State Farm does not have a vehicle insurance policy.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
You need to check with the state you live in to be sure what the laws are.
I learned a good lesson after my KX 500 was stolen (Dallas, Texas) and I had State Farm ins. I called them up and told them the bike was stolen and they told me they didn't cover off-road vehicles. Then a buddy told me to contact the Texas State Board of Ins. I did, and they told me that under state law, State Farm HAD to cover my bike. I then called State Farm back and told them I had spoken with the TSBI and was going to hire a lawyer and sue them if they didn't pay. That was on Monday. I had a check for the bike by Friday!
I now ask a lot of questions, have a great insurance agent.
Regards

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Progressive has pretty goods rates and they deal with motorcycles all the time. I have my 2001 YZ250F covered for $66 a year. That also includes (free) $1000 of accessory coverage. I have been using them for three years and have not had any problems... course I haven't had any claims yet.

An interesting side note (I couldn't believe it when talking with the agent), there is accident coverage rolled into there. I said, "It's a dirtbike, are you sure?". Yup was the answer... as long as I wasn't racing. Hmmmm.... wad the bike up while riding and submit a claim. Not bad. :cool:

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Twinspode is right-

www.progressive.com

For just about any offroad vehicle -
normally $70 to $150 per year depending on if you want liabilty insurance coverage as well.
My bikes are fully covered at about $130 per bike/ per year.
If you are a AMA member you get a discount for that as well.

State farm in this area covers dirt bikes as well? perhaps it is a state to state thing?

teamgrn84

~SPONSOR~
Sep 3, 2001
state farm covers off road bikes in oregon

I have had all my bikes covered by state farm,I have had a few friends loose there bikes to theft and house fires. It's cheap enough to have it covered, I reccomend to have insurance on them!!!

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by AJ Waggoner
Twinspode is right-

He smells old, he looks old, he uses a walker, he's shrinking, and now he's got names confused. Back to the oldtimers hotel for you Juice. ;)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by AJ Waggoner
Twinspode is right-

www.progressive.com

yep, i'm an ama member and i have my two vehicles insurance with progressive. we saved a small fortune on our cars. that brought the cost down on my 2000 cr to $50/year-full coverage (including liability) with $1000 coverage on custom parts. $100 deductible.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
My '00 KTM250exc is fully insured with State Farm insurance and they even took pictures of it for the policy. So I can't see where its legal for them not to pay for the damage/loss if they have collected money from you for covering the bike. That's just like stealing.

danny2623

Dec 24, 2001
insurance on bike

I have full coverage on my 2000 cr 250.Its through state farm,but i also have two vechicles,covered through state farm. My bike was a seperate police .Full coverage was 114.00 per year on my bike. Thats in Virginia.But so far I have not had to use it.I hope I never will. danny2623

freydog

Nov 17, 1999
Thanks for the info guys. I'll have another talk with State Farm, and then maybe try Progressive.

BTW, I have one home, two auto, two life insurance policies, and earthquake insurance (luckily before the big Seattle Quake this year) all through state farm, and fork out 152 bucks a month for all of the policies.

To have them tell me my dirt bikes aren't covered kinda bothered me, but the icing on the cake was when they were going to charge me another 42 bucks a month to add a little commuter car, and change my truck policy to weekend only usage.

You think they'd want to cut a guy a break that is giving them so much business!

Payday2

Sep 29, 1999
Another cool thing with Progressive is if you own a lot of bikes (4 or more), you get a big time discount on your insurance. When I called up to add the 4th bike to the policy, I was actually sent a refund check for $20.

J&K

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I used to use Progressive ins, but now have found they were high in my area.
Since they are a high risk carrier, ie.,, they do SR-22's and the like you might want to check around. I have a good agent now, but still make some comparisons every 2 years or so.
Regards

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Wow! Last time I checked they (Progressive) didn't operate in SC, but now they do!

A guy I once knew had State Farm insurance on his 2nd bike (after his first was stolen with no insurance). He crashed and tweaked the subframe. He took it to the dealer and they gave him a quote for replacing the whole frame and several other parts totalling something like $2,500. He got a check from State farm for $2,000 and they didn't even require him to have the work done!.

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
I got comprehesive insurance on my KX thru USAA. They had no problems adding it on with my Harley and two trucks. Only runs me $6 bucks a month, but they also only insure it for blue book value only, not replacement cost.
Does Progressive or State Farm insure for replacement cost??? I'd be interested in switching if they do.

CR500AF

Dec 2, 2001
Allstate

Are you guys talking about adding it onto your auto insurance or homeowners insurance? Im pretty sure that if your bike is stolen from your house that your homeowners insurance covers it. Im not positive though. If you are all talking about auto insurance I have Allstate, do they do the same with the theft insurance?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Hogwylde
Does Progressive or State Farm insure for replacement cost???

my progressive policy is for actual cash value but it states that you can set a predetermined amount of coverage. so in effect, you could get replacement cost.

Top Bottom