Rainman3090

Jul 10, 2008
hey dave here i was wondering what type of dirt bike i should get i have been doing some reserch about it i am like 5'10 197 and i was thinking a xr 250 because its 4 stroke and i will ride woods/fields/ and maybe a track not sure but if anyone can help nameing a good beginner bike i have road before but it was not my bike Honda ,Suzuki,yahamm, any is fine thanks all

Dave

Rainman3090

Jul 10, 2008
) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'11 197
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? not really
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????- fields woods friends
4) Do you have any riding experience?- less than 10 times
5) Do you think you will race ?no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?yes i have atvs and dad mechanic
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 4 stroke brand not really
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? honda yahamma
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? less than 3k
10) Do you live in California?no
11) Your age?17
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion no

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
A nice clean used XR250 would be an outstanding choice.

Rainman3090

Jul 10, 2008
thats what i was thinking of going with thanks for the help man i was on this site for ten mins and i got more help than google lol nice job and can you give me some other sizes than honda? if possible

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
They have an XR200, and a 230, and an XR400. The 200 & 230s are a nice bikes but probably less bike than you would really want at your size.

The XR400 like the 250 would also be an excellent choice.

Both the 250 & 400 are rideable enough to let you learn to without being overwhelming. They are tons of fun, reliable as an anvil, and well behaved.

They take minimal maintenance to keep running well, but they are easy to work on so they will provide you with a great way to learn the basic maintenance that comes with owning a dirt bike.

They hold their value remarkably well, so when you outgrow it you'll be able to recoup a good portion of your original investment.

It's tough to find a better starter bike for trail riding than an XR.

Rainman3090

Jul 10, 2008
update: I went looking at a honda dealer round town and he said a crf 230 fit me good and he recomended that so what do yall think, im leaning to that bike size and type.
Anyway just wanna know what ya think

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's a great bike that will be an excellent way to start out. It has a little less power than a 250, but the difference isn't that great. If you are comfortable on the bike and you can get it for a price that works, go for it.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Rainman3090 said:
update: I went looking at a honda dealer round town and he said a crf 230 fit me good and he recomended that so what do yall think, im leaning to that bike size and type.
Anyway just wanna know what ya think

He also just happens to have a crf 230 for sale there. 'Here, jump on this bike. It will work even better for you than that xr and I can get you a great deal on it.' LOL...

CRF would be a good bike, but for something that takes very little work that xr would be a great choice for you. The good thing about the crf though is that it has more up to date technology as the xr has gone relatively unchanged for quite a while. There's positives and negatives to the updates. Positive: Well, it's updated. Everything will work and be better for more aggressive riding. Negative: It's harder to work on and that XR, although slightly outdated, is stinking bulletproof. It is tried and true, so you just have to be honest with yourself and figure out what will fit your riding style the best and what will fit your mechanical ability/willingness the best.... Good luck! :cool:

Rainman3090

Jul 10, 2008
thanks man for the help i am going for it i just got to get the money sorted out i found a good used 2003 one for maybe 2.2k but i will see if i can get it cheaper will update . and the one dealer is a friend of my dad we bought all our stuff there he had it in the wear house. We tried a 150 then a 230 and i choose the 230 as better he agreed. as far as mechanical work my dad owns a car shop and i got some small motors i worked on so i know my way around a wrench so i should say. but hey the advice is greatly appericated

p.s. the man said honda changed name from xr to crf is this true or false?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
wake_rider said:
He also just happens to have a crf 230 for sale there. 'Here, jump on this bike. It will work even better for you than that xr and I can get you a great deal on it.' LOL...

CRF would be a good bike, but for something that takes very little work that xr would be a great choice for you. The good thing about the crf though is that it has more up to date technology as the xr has gone relatively unchanged for quite a while. There's positives and negatives to the updates. Positive: Well, it's updated. Everything will work and be better for more aggressive riding. Negative: It's harder to work on and that XR, although slightly outdated, is stinking bulletproof. It is tried and true, so you just have to be honest with yourself and figure out what will fit your riding style the best and what will fit your mechanical ability/willingness the best.... Good luck! :cool:

The CRF230F is nothing but an overbored XR200 with updated plastic and slightly updated suspension. It's still the same air-cooled design that the XR series has been using for years. It's Just as easy to maintain as the XRs always have been. All Honda did was change the name and make some simple updates to the old proven, reliable design.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Rich Rohrich said:
The CRF230F is nothing but an overbored XR200 with updated plastic and slightly updated suspension. It's still the same air-cooled design that the XR series has been using for years. It's Just as easy to maintain as the XRs always have been. All Honda did was change the name and make some simple updates to the old proven, reliable design.

Ah, I see... Makes sense. I was pretty baffled that they would just do away with the xr completely seeing the cult following it has generated.....

Rainman3090

Jul 10, 2008
oh ok well now knowing its really just the xr but changed around like another brother its still cool. So Air cooled is fine. Thanks again

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom