Bike Ran Great...Found & Fixed Air Leak...Runs Bad

1996KDX200

Apr 13, 2001
After putting my bike back together the other day, I started it and the idle was very high. I turned it down and and off I went. The bike ran better than it ever has. It was awesome! More power everywhere, and it was smoooothe! However, the idle was very uneven and the RPMs did not drop steadily when I got off the throttle. I started too look around and discovered a large whole on the boot between the carb and the block. So I pached the whole( and ordered a new boot) and went for a spin. I had to turn the idle back up and it did not run nearly as good. It runs rough somewhere in the midrange now. Did the hole just lean it out and correct poor jetting? Any ideas whats going on? I always wondered if it was running too rich. Sometimes it will foul a plug for no aparent reason. I want it to run like it did with the air leak all the time!

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Given your description I'd say you are most certainly running rich now and the air leak simply leaned the jetting enough to give you a taste of what good jetting will yield. With any luck you weren't running lean enough to damage anything and weren't sucking dirt into the engine.

To learn more about jetting your KDX you can check out the JustKDX web page. Chick on Tech Tips then the jetting article for more info.

David

1996KDX200

Apr 13, 2001
Fixed air leak and raised needle clip today. That seemed to help. The plug is still black but not wet looking at all. I messed with the air screw but did not see much change. It still gives off a lot of smoke on idle but runs better now. Thanks for the jetting article!

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Yes, chances are you'll need to buy some new brass. Follow the article and get a feel for it. Jetting knowledge is essential to cycle riding(unless you've got your own mechanic!) regardless of 2 or 4 strokes.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Ditto to the jetting advice above.....Check it and get back to us!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom