bike shoes

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
i just installed two bike shoes on my trailer and was trying them out. i've never used them before. they really clamp down on the front tire. i'm guessing this is ok? i think i'll still use my tiedowns on the frame too. any thoughts/ideas/tips from anyone using bike shoes would be appreciated.

trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
The shoes are great, but I also lightly tie to each side with a tie-strap to prevent side to side motion. It does take the pressure off your forks and should help save seals.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I have three mounted on my trailer. They hold the bikes down just fine. I use a small strap on the rear tire to keep it in the channel for the big bumps and hits I might encounter on the way to riding.
Once I flipped my trailer over, rounding a mountain curve. (The bike was on one of the side rails, not the center one) The shoe never cut loose. It broke completely away from the trailer, but hung on to the front tire as it slid past me in the fast lane. Believe me, you don't need straps if it hangs in there until the mounting bolts shear off.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
thanks for the info skipro3. i had 12 psi in the tire and when i clamped down on it the thing looked a little extreme. the tire was compressed way more than it ever was with a fork support and tiedowns.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Yea, it looks like it is bad and could damage the sidewall but as long as you have 12 psi, you shouldn't have any problem. I've worried about pinching a tube but never have. Just remember, If you get a flat tire, the shoe might not hold so have tie downs with you at all times.

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
I just bought one direct from American Dirtbike for $75.00 + shipping (http://www.americandirtbike.com/adb.htm). Just installed it on the trailer and it looks like it will work great, can't wait to use it.

They claim it will work even with a flat tire...but I agree, bring the tiedowns.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Mine I got off e B ay for around $50 with shipping. It's the Blue Shoe. Blue Shoe is the origional. I tried a copycat and had to stop every so often because it would start to come loose.

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
I gotta resurrect this old thread. skipro3, what was different with the “knock off”? It is a pretty simple design.

I finally used the one I bought from American Dirtbike and it is great. There is still a fair amount of side-to-side action, so I threw a couple tie downs on the frame. It’s nice to not have to compress the forks. Not sure if my ‘shoe is a knock off or not, but it never came loose in about an hour of towing each way.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
The knock-off I got of e b a y had the lever that pulls down everything tight made too long and it didn't tuck in nice like the origional. I finally cut and rewelded it and now it works fine. I suspect there may be a patent on the origional and that was why the knock-off was different.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
i have some modification advice if you want one to handle smaller size tires - i use it on my wife's ttr125le and my xt225 - don't have time to take photos and measurements right now but can in a week if there is interest. these are the atk versions. however, i do have two other brands that i do not think as highly about...

btw: they do work great in holding the front wheel down - however, you must put something on the rear wheel - otherwise, it will do some wonderful whips when you hit bumps as the front axle is still live and the bike will lift and pivot since the handlebars are fixed. i simply have a d-ring attached under the rear wheel and tie the rear wheel to that - works great! on long trips i still lightly put tiedowns to handelbars as i am one of those people that worry about such things...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…