Bike sizing: does your bike fit you?

terrible

Jun 26, 2006
First off; I'm short. I'm about 5'8" and have a 30.5" inseem. When I was younger I wanted an 80cc bike to play with so bad I would have done anything for it if I was aloud to have it.

Well flash forward to age 27 and I buy myself a n.o.s. rm 85 (non-big wheel) to play with and learn to ride.

Well long story short other than the bars being a bit low the bike fits me great. I'm used to riding 20" bmx bikes and freestyle bikes of the same size so the 80 and 85 cc frames are like what I'm used to but with a whole lot more power.

I was thinking about next year and buying a 125 or even a 250 as my next bike. When I was at the shop this last weekend I wandered back to the used section to find an '03 rm 125 in good shape. Since no one was looking I jumped on it to see what it felt like. This thing is huge! I could touch my toes to the ground but as far as being able to dab a foot climbing a hill there is no way!

Now I know everyone isn't 6'5 so how does everyone ride the larger bikes? is it just something you've gotten used to?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
When you start standing more, you'll be much more comfortable on the larger bike. It will come to you with time. I've been 5'10" since I started riding bigger bikes when I was 16. I absolutely hated riding my friend's WR's because I felt like they were too tall. Fast forward to today, I'm still 5'10" and have actually thought to myself that a full-sized bike felt short (it was an 02 CR250R). My friend who rides the bike is somewhere around 5'6" or 5'8". He has absolutely no problem riding it, except for getting it started.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
5'4", 145 pounds. 02 RM125. The only real problem has been starts in racing and slow off camber corners.

I did have the suspension lowered an inch and a half recently, and that has made things even better - both tip toes down easily now.

I find an 85 WAY too small.

terrible

Jun 26, 2006
I'm sure buy the end of the summer with my time spent in the saddle I'll be ready for a bigger bike. Especially if I get a chance to ride a buddies yzf250 :)

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
You definitely get used to the taller bikes. When I got my Gasser (~36inch seat height) I thought it was tall. Now I'm thinking about taller seat foam for it. I'm 6'0".

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

I'm about 5'7 or 8 and ride a KDX, I think the seat height is about 36 inches. I feel like it is the perfect fit for me, I wouldn't want anything lower or higher.

Mar 16, 2007
the reason the bike feels so big to you is that you are used to bmx. bmx you generally ride small bikes, if your skill level is high the smaller bmx bikes are better for better control etc. so you can shred up the track. Im the other way around, I am used to riding dirtbikes cr 125 and im your height I ride no problem. I went to the bmx track today on my mountain bike just for fun. I have been looking at getting a bmx bike but they all feel so small to me. Everyone tells me that a 26" cruiser is too big for me but I like the bigger bike. Im thinking of going 24" cruiser.

TrailDawg

Sep 7, 2001
I grew up riding antiquated pitbikes (a Honda Trail 70, a Harley 100cc, and Hodaka 80cc). After those I got into street bikes for a bit in my teenage years. Those early dirt bikes and street bikes all had "normal" seat heights in that flat-footing it with both feet wasn't a problem.

Well, a few years later I got the dirt bug again and bough my first "real" dirtbike, a well-used 1986 CR125. Let me tell ya, it was way different than anything I'd ever ridden before. Tall, skinny, pipey, etc. I never thought I'd feel comfortable riding it the first few times I took it out, but it wasn't a week or two before I was whipping it around like like the old Hodaka.

As with anything else it just takes a little time to get accustomed to the differences. Trust me, the additional power on tap will more than make up for having to learn to adapt to the increased height.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The problem isn't that you're not tall enough, the problem is that you don't weigh enough.

Every bike I sit on immediately becomes 6-8" shorter.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Your about average height but you have short legs and a longer torso. Thats why they seem tall. Don't let it get too you RC IS short and he seems to do pretty well.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
terrible said:
Now I know everyone isn't 6'5 so how does everyone ride the larger bikes? is it just something you've gotten used to?

You get used to it. You learn to find the taller ground and how to slide from one side to the other to touch with at least one foot.

5'3" 115 on a YZ125. Yamahas are one of the taller bikes :bang: I shaved my seat almost 2", I could not touch at all when I got the bike. I can kinda touch with my toes after shaving the seat down. I also had to put in softer springs, because I'm a lightweight.

Like Rowbright said about feeling big for an 85, I feel the same way. I had one for a very short time before getting a 125.

terrible

Jun 26, 2006
Well I had thought about sending my forks/shock off to have them revalved and new springs wound but after getting more and more used to the 85 I'm not really sure I want to spend alot of cash setting it up. I'm going to ride it this whole summer to make sure I really want to invest in a bigger bike then I'll go from there. But for now my "little scooter" does me fine.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom