Bike suggestions

sarN

Apr 1, 2007
hey everyone, hows it goin
im 19, and currently have an 85 xr250r that im working on bringing back up to good running condition.

the only thing is, im about 5'6" and 135 pounds (yea, it sucks) and this 22 year old bike is more than twice as heavy as i am. i like the power, but i feel like the bike has the control and not me when im riding it.

if i were to get another bike, what would you suggest? im not a hardcore rider but i have a pretty good backyard, and occasionally go riding with some people. i was almost thinking of a TT-R 125 with some performance mods to get it some more power and still keep the weight about 100 pounds lighter than what i ride now. I would rather not go for a 2 stroke since I would get a lot of complaining from neighbors.

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
i think you would be happy with a CRF250X, its alot lighter than that XR you have now. its very nimble, and is a good trail bike that can also go to the track once in awhile. if you want something even more lightweight and have some good snort to it get a CRF150R, these things rip for a 150 four stroke. :laugh:

sarN

Apr 1, 2007
thanks for the suggestions guys.

450X, the 250 looks a bit out of my price range but with a bit of saving the 150R looks like a great option. at 165 pounds(!!) im sure it would be unbelievable for me. what makes them so much faster than other 4 strokes?

do you guys think that an 85 xr250r will go up in value as the years go by? the motor has been bored and has some pretty beat up plastic (cracked the back fender in a 'how hard can a wheelie be' maneuver, ill be looking at the clutch basket this weekend because when the bike is hot, the clutch doesnt disengage. so its definitely not immaculate in any respect haha.

2 stroke for life: that probably is a nice alternative, especially for some cheap power. only problem is my neighbor used to yell at me for playing guitar too loud (wtf?) and i dont think a 2 stroke would make her very happy.

thanks again for the responses, ill let you know, especially since birthday time is just around the corner!

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
The R is what makes it so much faster and if you think a two stroke would upset you neighbors then the CRF150R would make them soil themselves.

sarN

Apr 1, 2007
oh well, i guess they can just put up a taller fence then. my property!

i havent mentioned that im not a terribly experienced rider, and dont plan on racing. i just want a small, quick bike that will still have enough power to get up some decent size hills when im riding trails. also just screwing around in the backyard would be fun.

so are there any more budget friendly options that would satisfy that?

sarN

Apr 1, 2007
hmm, if theyre going to be just as loud, maybe the KX would be a better way to go. that way i dont look like a tool riding a fast brand new bike either. any years that you reccomend on the kx100? and how are they with reliability?

and do honda / yamaha have any good competition in the same class? i am researching a lot right now just your knowledge quickens the search

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
I think the only other company that makes a 100 is suzuki but I don't know if they still make it or not I didn't see it in my 2006 suzuki catalog. also for pricing check out cycletrader.com to get an idea of how much it's going to cost you. Then just buy the newest you can afford.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
KTM now has a 105 SX. Way more expensive than a KX100 and probably a CRF150R too.

I had considered a KX100 after I outgrew my RM80. We were going to have it ported and put a pipe on it for trail riding. Then I outgrew it before we could buy it and I got a KDX200. My friend(yes the one with the 265 pound KLX250!) is about 5'7"ish and he can tip toe on my bike. They make lowering links for KDXs that work great. Bike weighs 232lbs stock.

Another suggestion would be a CRF230. I know a guy who is 5'5' and it fits him good. As far as weight though it's not much lighter than a XR250 though. You could out grow this bike in skill level pretty easily too.

sarN

Apr 1, 2007
is the CRF150R pretty low to the ground? I know that the Expert has bigger wheels etc, but is the regular R made for someone my height? I'm really thinking that this will be a good choice, especially when they get some hardly used ones on the floor they will probably fall around $3500. For what I want, I think the 170 pounds from the 150R would be the most fun.

Thanks for the suggestions again, Hopefully this summer ill be looking into a new one!

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
Hounestly I would shoot for a 125 being that your 5'6" or at least a full size bike. I had a friend that was your height and probably close to your weight and he had no troubles at all on his XR 600. I would recomend something lighter though. Those Xrs are made for flying accross the desert at Mach one. There not designed for being manuverable.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
why do people say that 2strokes are noisy. That really bugs me. 4 strokes are just as loud if not louder.

sarN

Apr 1, 2007
2stroke: from looking up the specs of my bike now, it says the seat height is 35.6 inches. i have to tiptoe a little bit, but i think the 34.1 from the big wheel 150r would be a nice adjustment. ill have to measure the seat of my bike anyways just to make sure. and i would definitely look into getting a quiet exhaust for it.

blackcat: haha i had someone tell me a story just like that. but the guy was always riding in the desert, so i guess it was good for him. im not a pansy, but im no muscle man either, which is why weight would be very important for me. but i will also keep looking into 125's because they are cheaper.

jeromeo: i dono, but the times that i go riding you can most DEFINITELY tell who has a two stroke compared to a four.

would the 150 have more power than my old 250? i know its got more displacement but its only 2v compared to the 150s 4v. the 150 also has higher compression.
and what makes 2 strokes easier to work on than a 4 stroke?

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
How much sag does your XR have now? A bike that is setup correctly has 105 mm's of sag that equals 4.1 inches. So that means that 37 inches becomes 33 inches. If you wear a 29 inseam pair of pants that means the distance from your crotch to your ankle is 29 inches and if you put out your tippie toes out that will give you another 4 inches+/-. So the math works out. Of course you'll have to be on your tippie toes but you should be. You shouldn't sit on a MX bike flat footed. I don't know why but you shouldn't. :)

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
i dont know the exact power output of the 150R but it will feel like you have double the power of that XR, it has way faster throttle response, there is no comparison between the old four strokes and the new ones. :whoa:
and two strokes are easier to work on because they have alot fewer moving parts. :yeehaw:

sarN

Apr 1, 2007
hmm, ok ill have to check this weekend when i go home to see how the bike is.

well, ive ripped apart this 4 stroke and had the cylinder bored + the top end redone, so would the new one be any different? i just dont understand the 'unicam' thing in the 150r, is it different from a SOHC. im not quite sure how the carb works, like where the idle jet is, as my bike right now has 2 carbs haha. but i am close to someone who knows everything about bikes and helps me do it all for free anyways, so maintenance wont be a problem. im guessing reliability on both is about the same since i wont be riding it extremely hard?

blackcat: thats fine by me, id just rather have 180 pounds falling on me instead of 250 when i fall over haha.

sarN

Apr 1, 2007
on a liquid cooled bike, has anyone every impaled your radiator?

i definitely will be saving a lot this summer, and just got 500 in tax returns. before i get anything i want to fix up this XR. the clutch is REALLY hard to pull in, any ideas as to why? maybe a cable adjustment?

also, it looks like the plugs on the top end of the motor (right above the RFVC) leak oil. ill be taking a look at it when i look at the clutch basket as well. today will be attaching the carbs again, gettin some gas and hope that it runs!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…