Bike wont start easy at all, Help please

KDX200Biker

Nov 22, 2001
Hey a few months my bike would start 1st kick everytime, but i got stuck in a big mud puddle. and it went all threw the carb and top end. I didnt really clean it out. but since then it takes forever to start liek 20 kicks or have to jump start it, since then i put in a new top end and cleaned the carb and air filter but it still wont start. after i cleaned the carb it started right up, but then the next day it does the same thing, even if i drain the carb with the drain whole and try to start it after i turn the gas on again, any ideas? i dont think it could be jetting since ti was fine before and i havent changed the jetting, mabye the floats but i dont know. give me some suggestions, thanx

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
1- Since you went into water, I would pull off the (left side) ignition cover and see if you have water &/or rust in there. I would clean that area good with carb cleaner and let it dry thoroughly before you put the cover back on. If you do have water in there, replace the side cover gasket.

2- Drain the gas tank, take off the petcock and clean the filter on the petcock. Drain the gas into a clear container and see if you had water and/or trash in the tank. Next, put everything back together and get new premium gas. Then, disconnect the fuel line from the carb and let new fuel run through it to clean it out (if you have trash in it).

3- Take the carb off again and see if there is any trash in the jets. You can get a tiny piece of wire stand and clean it out easily. While the carb is off, re-check the needle and seat to be sure it is not sticking. Then, pull the air filter off and make sure you do not have trash in the air filter intake tube.

These are a few ideas that will probably solve your problem without any cost.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
You may have already done it, but be sure your take off, clean and clear the venting hoses from the carb. Causes lots of strange problems if they are not clear and clean.

KDXJP

May 21, 2002
Check the reed valves to see if they are seated properly. I heard that could cause starting problems. I could be wrong though.

KDX200Biker

Nov 22, 2001
thanks guys for the help, i got some good ideas, i dont know if its ignition since once it starts it runs great and and starts fist kick when warm, and when i cleaned the carb it started right up, mabye its just a coincedence. and i dont think its the reeds since i just put in brand new power reeds with the new top end. thanks tho, ill try some of that out today and see what happens

cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
If it starts no problem once warm, completely disassemble your carb and clean THOROUGHLY. Most likely your choke is not closing properly, or your air inlet is slightly fouled. I would reccomend cleaning anything that may have taken in dirt and water-such as your air filter. Keep on cleaning.

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
sounds like your choke, or pilot sircuits of your carb are clogged or are passing grains of sand or mud through. I would definately clean everything out again...and clean it well. double and triple check the seat of the needle valve.
I have had similar problems with my bikes.
good luck
Tim

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
May be completely unrelated.

Considering the time of year, 'things' would have to be richer with the colder weather.

All the other tips are great! Try turning your air screw in 1/2 a turn before you try to start it. See if that has an effect.

Turn it back out (or put to where it should be) as required.

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
The symptoms sound like the exciter coils are ons its way out.
Unplug the three wires that comes out of the magneto unit. Measure the resistance between the black and white/red wire. On a KDX 200 the value is about 350 ohms ( i think the range is something like 300-370 ohms ). If yours are way less look into that, just a matter of time and your bike wont run start at all.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I'm new here and new to my KDX but thought I'd get my two cents in.
For cleaning your carb, be sure and try Berryman's Carb Dip, it is amazing stuff. I have a '69 Honda CT90 that would not run good at all. I bought a gallon of the stuff, removed all the rubber and plastic parts off the carb and separated the bowl, and placed it in the dip basket and dropped it in the stuff for 30 minutes. Wow! It came out looking like brand new. I put it back together and my 'lil CT runs like a champ.

Wibby

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
My buddy that actually know what he's doing mechanically uses that stuff or something similar. It cleaned up stuff on my TY175's carb that carb cleaner wouldn't touch.

KDX200Biker

Nov 22, 2001
Thanks again guys, the other day it started first kick, i dont get it, its done that like 3 times in the last 2 months, but id say its about 1/50 that it startes that easy, i think ill try cleaning all the vent tubes. and check the ignition. Funny, i also have a 1969 CT90 its just a fun bike to play with and to teach people to ride on since its so easy to ride. that little thing is indestructable, Thanks again guys

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom