jfontenot

Jan 27, 2003
I am a new KDX owner (2000 KDX 200). I have had the bike for less then a week and have only riding up and down the street a few times. I noticed a black fluid (looks like carbon & gas mixture) from the tail pipe. What's going on?

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
A couple things might be causing this. First, you probably aren't getting the engine warmed up properly before riding, and not riding long and hard enough to reach full operating tempertures. You also may be jetted too rich. If your jetting is stock and you are any where near sealevel, that could be a problem. That stuff is known as spooge and is mostly unburned fuel due to poor evaporation within the combustion chamber. You may have a stuck float or float valve that is dumping extra fuel into the motor. You may be riding with the choke on. Warm up the bike properly, ride it with some umph, then see what it looks like. You may still spooge due to a pipe load already in the exhaust so you may want to flush that out first.

guggie

Mar 3, 2003
hey I have the same thing, is yours a 2003? This black liquid looks like it is definateley oil. It is coming from the place where the actual pipe connects to the silencer under the seat sealed by a blue ring. It is splattered just a little bit on the rear swingarm. My snowmobile does this also, nothing severe but there are spots of oil in it so I thought it was just normal for most 2 strokes. I took it out to a large industrial park on easter where no cops were and no people so my dad could teach me how to shift. I only put like 15 miles on it. I was definateley whaling on the bike once I got the hang of downshifting so It wasnt because i wasnt going hard enough on it. My jettings are stock and I am at sea level.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
It is normal for a stock jetted KDX. Don't mess with the jetting though until you are finished modifying your bike (i.e. Pipe etc..) or you may run into a lean situation which is 10 time worse than a little spooge coming out of your pipe.

jfontenot

Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by guggie
hey I have the same thing, is yours a 2003? This black liquid looks like it is definateley oil. It is coming from the place where the actual pipe connects to the silencer under the seat sealed by a blue ring. It is splattered just a little bit on the rear swingarm. My snowmobile does this also, nothing severe but there are spots of oil in it so I thought it was just normal for most 2 strokes. I took it out to a large industrial park on easter where no cops were and no people so my dad could teach me how to shift. I only put like 15 miles on it. I was definateley whaling on the bike once I got the hang of downshifting so It wasnt because i wasnt going hard enough on it. My jettings are stock and I am at sea level.
No 2000

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom