black paint for radiators?

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
i was reading the "Two Stroke Performance Tuning" book by A. Graham Bell, and i found that he is talking about how black paint radiates heat quite well, now i knew this part, but i wasn't sure of this following quote, this is from the lubrication and cooling section: "Fins and crankcases painted flat black radiate heat considerably better than shiny silver surfaces"

so would painting my bare aluminum radiators flat black help at all w/ colling, or is this only apply to the clyinder and cases them selfs? :coocoo:

i always though bare aluminum was better...
i was told that a motor w/ multiple coats of paint will run hotter b/c the heat is try to "escape" the think layers of paint, instead of just escaping the bare metal, and having nothing to "travel through" :coocoo:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I am a little skeptical, I do know that a car with a light colored interior is more comfortable to get in on a hot summer day that one with a dark interior. Also, most aluminum parts are not what I would consider shiny. Finally, if a black radiator would perform better than a natural aluminum one, then why are all of the high performance radiators made for cars or bikes not painted? Griffin radiators are the first that come to mind.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…