Stock, Black Pipe --> Shiny Stock Pipe?

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
HEY!

I was just downstairs looking at my bike, and I noticed that the marks from my boot/leg have worn through the stock, black paint of my pipe and revealed a shiny, silver color..

I was wondering, if I took some sand paper ( or metal SOS pads ) and tried to take it all off, would it turn my pipe into a shiny, good looking stock pipe?? Would it be easy to do, and would there be any downsides to it???

I would go out and buy a new pipe, but unfortunately I don't have enough cash to spend on something like that ( well, I do.. but for my riding ability it wont matter too much ).. So I just want a mickey mouse way, that will actually work..

( I have heard of a silver type, heat insulation paint that they used for a review on a YZ 125 ** I THINK ** and they said because it traps the heat in, then it controls the flow of gasses better.. Does anyone know if this works? How much it costs? And what it is called? )

Thanks!
Dan

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I have used that header wrap for cars before on my two stroke pipe and it did change the power a little bit for me. It took a little bottom end away and gave it a bit more of a midrange hit and top end. If you contain the heat in your pipe you are changing the way that pipe was designed a little bit whether it works for you and you bike I couldn't say.
That header wrap was expensive. Expensive enough for me not to try it again

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Dan, I stripped the paint off of mine and it turned out looking very nice, IMHO. Check my member gallery for photos of my bare metal stock pipe.

I used aircraft coating stripper, and a wire brush. It took some time, but the results were good. Once you get it completely bare, clean it up with WD40 and an SOS pad (or two).

Top Bottom