SDTom

Jan 10, 2002
I just got an mx style rear fender for my 02 KDX220 from Maier. It fits perfectly, and looks great (sorry -no photo). I just had to tuck my taillight wires under the seat and it bolted right on. I got a black one but they also have green. Not cheap - about $48, but looks factory. I've seen some threads in the past where guys have had to cut and/or pop rivet stuff together so here's an alternative.
Anyone know if a KX front number plate can be made to fit okay?

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Hey Tom. Does the fender bolt right on? I had mixed comments on this. Did you have to cut the frame rails or anything similar? Or like you say....diid it just bolt right on. What about the mud flap? Thanks.

SDTom

Jan 10, 2002
Yup, no cutting at all. Fits with the mudflap no prob. Comes with hardware. Part numbers are: 144860 Blk, 144863 Grn. There's a pic on the maier-mfg.com site.

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
SDTom wrote: Yup, no cutting at all.

Well unless Maier changed the rear fender style. I purchased mine in January 2002 and the frame rails do stick out about 1-2 inches or so. You can cut the frame before the rear cross member and then they will not stick out. I had to do this on my KDX when installing the rear fender. See pictures by clicking on the website button for final apperance. My fender is green. The green does not match the OEM plastic. The color is off.

SDTom

Jan 10, 2002
True, they stick out a little. I guess my point was that you don't NEED to cut anything. I think the frame rails there make a nice handle, and since I did mount my tool bag, I like having the extra support. As far as the color, it does look diffrnt on your bike. Where'd you get the green side panels?

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
True you don't have to cut them but it does look nice with them cut :) I wish they made black side panels and a black headlight. That would look so sweet.

SDTom

Jan 10, 2002
Black sides would be really nice...I was considering one of those Acerbis headlight setups with the 2 little round lights. I think they make those in black.

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I have both the green and the black, purchased from FRP. Green color is almost a perfect match, barely off. The black looks better IMHO and has a better finish, glossy like the stockers. I have a black UFO front fender, KX125 white number plate, a gutts racing gripper seat cover (all black, hard-stock height foam) with the white sidepanels. I have Decal Works black backgrounds with preprinted numbers on the way for the front number plate and the sidepanels. All black and white diecut stickers verses stock shroud graphics. ALL BLACK,WHITE and GREEN LOOKS GOOD IMHO. Pics in the near future. :cool:

SDTom

Jan 10, 2002
Decal works can do KDX backgrounds? Sweet! Any xtra charge? Did you have to trim much off the KX number plate, like where the tops of the fork boots are? I plan on getting a white one to match the sides. I made my own black backgrounds and they came out pretty nice, but not perfect. I'm pretty happy with the stock 02 graphics-just black and white...no purple, yellow, blue, etc... Can't wait to see your pics!

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
SDTom,

I used a dremmel tool on the front number plate, removed hangers from number plate and created factory smooth edge. Mounted via two triple clamp holes verses the top center screw. Cut small slice for upper stock cable mount to go through which also secures top of number plate, no moving around. Also ordered Cycra number plate cable guides. They have them on sale for $6, come in black or white, will help secure cable near bottom where I ditched the cable mount. KX125 2001 UFO plate :cool: .

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom