bleeding rear brakes on a KX100?!?!

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
The old rear pads were shot, so we replaced them with new pads. The bike is a 2000. Put in the (aleegedly the best EBC pads I could get).

the rear brake pedal has like 3" of travel and it feels pretty spongey and not very aggressive. You can lock it up, but it sure seems like it takes a lot of effort compared to the front which you can lock up with one finger. So I bled the rear brake at the caliper, 5-6 times. When I really started to look at it, it seemed pretty silly because the rear brake line off the hydraulic cyclinder goes straight up, then down to the rear caliper, so any air would likely stay way up there, wouldn't it? I bled them anyway, and it didn't do anything for me.

What's the trick on those brakes? Is there some adjustment I need to get ironed out that I missed?

I don't have the shop manual, yet, and it's my first time ever with brake pads, so I'm a rookie dufus in this area.

Much thanks,
Bob

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
If youve got new brake pads, and freshly bleed brakes, it should take more effort NOT to lock them.. :eek: Are you sure you got all the air out? I hear what youre saying, but the whole brake line should be full of fluid with no air at all. When you bled them, you pumped the brake, smashed the lever, THEN released the bleeder while still holding the lever down right? This is especially touchy on the back brake for some reason... I had ALL the air out of my back brake line, and didnt have any brakes for almost a whole day, then they were back to normal. But I didnt replace the pads either. That may have had something to do with it.:confused:

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
FritoBandito...

What kind of nic' is that? What happened to Chester Cheetah... :)

Dude, we got screwed, we got both used bikes... :confused: :)

They about got the walls framed in on my basement. I can't wait to find out how much dirt I have left so I can start building jumps in the back yard. WOOOHOOO! :cool: Looks like about 500 yards of dirt I'm gonna get to move around. I'm leaning toward 3 table tops in a rhythm section a big table top and a few short jumps.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom