Blue Hand grenades

KWJams

Subscriber
It is getting difficult to not say anything polite about how the Blue Thumper's seem to grenade so often.

My claim to fame is that my last place finish was enough to beat Ty Davis :eek: *Click here*

It seems to me it proves that just because you are a fantastic rider like Ty Davis, it doesn't mean you know how to pick a good engine builder :)

A great claim to fame either way KW.

KWJams

Subscriber
Yep, Ty wrenches for himself from what I have read.
He sure has been snake-bit ever since he left Team Green though.

I beat all them DNF'rs like step children ;)

Moof the blown YZ-F's I have seen have been big-bores. I don't think that particular engine design lends itself to overboring very well.

Originally posted by spanky250
Moof the blown YZ-F's I have seen have been big-bores. I don't think that particular engine design lends itself to overboring very well.
It does if it's done CORRECTLY. Ty might want to leave the wrenching to someone else and concentrate on riding. He's obviously gifted at one of them :)

penguin

N. Texas SP
branding a bike as a grenade after it has been butchered by someone who doesn't know a piston ring from a hole in the ground is rather unfair. I have seen plenty of YZF big bores run an entire season of cross-country racing here in Texas with little more than oil and filter changes and a valve adjustment. And on stock motors the blue bikes have gone 2 complete seasons with no engine problems. I ride green bikes, but I admire and respect the Yammie 4-strokes. Spreading rumors without facts or based on isolated cases is a little irresponsible and not very smart.:p

weimedog

Damn Yankees
But those old KX500 keep tearing up the deserts...less stress on those big monsters I guess. Don't hear about anyone "boring" those KX500's out. LOL Sounds like for that type of riding they are the best bang per buck. Buy them. Race them. No big bore kits needed.:p

To that person saying the big bores are blowing up more...scan these posts for clutch problems. Looks like those 250 wonder bikes are toasting clutches. Heard of a couple locally that have.:scream:

Originally posted by weimedog
But those old KX500 keep tearing up the deserts...less stress on those big monsters I guess.
Ummm,

Dave Ondas DNFed too. What was he riding? Last year he was on a KX...

KWJams

Subscriber
So the brush I used was a little broad :)

Don't take me wrong on this, I am a fan of Ty's and have been impressed from day one with the Blue Thumpers.

But what is bugging me is the number of DNF's in the Desert.

It's not just Davis, last year at a National I found one of the Pearson brothers waiting for a tow rope, and it seems that every race I see more blue on the side of the trail than any other color.

Ty is a fair wrench and I imagine that he does have support.

My concern is, are they that delicate of a bike that they can not stand the rigors of a full blown desert race---or is it the demanding style that Ty rides with that is breaking them.

You would think that this kind of results would be a concern to the factory.:think

smb_racing

Master of None
Antique class? :think

weimedog

Damn Yankees
It would be interesting to see statistics relative to the reliability of those blue wonder machines vs. those good old fashion KX500's. My bet is the those blue's would be green with envy.:p Simple has to be better...and I'm a 4-stroke fan. My bet is those big bore two strokes are less stressed than those tempramental 4-strokes trying to make big bore two stroke power.:scream:

Last edited:
When Ty tries to build a motor that will run at high speeds all day, trying to keep up with the 500's. It makes his motors very unreliable. He doesn't have this trouble in hare scramble type events. The 426 is not designed to be a open class desert machine.

We'll see how the new Yamaha 450 holds up and if he can get some more cubes out of it, without stressing the motor, to bad???

vetwfo'er

weimedog

Damn Yankees
The point is he has to BUILD a motor ...to keep up with KX500's. And the point is 50hp or 60hp from a KX is more reliable than 50 or 60hp from a YZ426. Desert racing is about reliabilty. :)

Its like those Suzuki DR's being BUILT to try and keep up with the rest of the GNCC crowd. Seems like when push comes to shove they went back to RM250's..true race bikes.

And the point is the both these bikes (The YZ and DR) are plateforms for selling aftermarket stuff so we are convinced to buy one instead of something like a KX by the main stream. These reliablity type races really mean something to the average joe. They point out potential reliability issues...

Last edited:
Hey Weimedog, they only went back to RMs in the woods. Who's leading the WORCS series? That's right, the MX Kied on a DRZ! See you at Washougal in June! ;)