cudatd

Apr 20, 2005
I tighten up a nut to tight, that it cracked off the one of the bolts that hold the front axle in place. Any suggistions out there on how to fix this? And is it all right to ride with just 3 of the nuts holding the plate on to the axle for a little while?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
You might want to buy an inches-pounds torque wrnech so that you don't do it again.

What you cracked is actually a stud and not a bolt. Search on here for the part number in an old post. It is 132G622 or something like that. If enough of it is sticking out, you might be able to grab it with pliers and twist it out.

Why chance it with just three? If just three were OK, I doubt they would have made it with four. :-)

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
If the stud has snapped off so low that you cant get some vise-grips on it you are going to have to get someone to remove it for you. You can do it yourself but its not easy. The bloke who removes it will generally tap a reverse thread hole down the middle of your snapped stud, and then wind a reverse threat bolt down the newly created thread. Tightening this backwards setup up, actually undoes your snapped stud.

legendboy

May 11, 2006
if you can't get it out with vise grips i would take it to a machine shop and let them do it. it could turn into pita if you snap an easy out in it or something

KI4CPE

Mar 14, 2005
you can also drill a hole in the bolt and use an "easy out" to back out the remainder of the bolt. The "easy out" has left hand threads, so when you turn the bolt out it will tighten into the small hole that you drilled. If not, then do take it to a shop and I'm sure they can get it out. GOOD LUCK Shane Dudley

Dakota Kid

Jun 3, 2006
I would recomend a machine shop if you can not get it out with a vise grip. I have removed many studs with an easy out and it flat out sucks even if you know what you are doing. The problem is the that you have to drill a very small hole in the middle off the stud. Since the stud is hardened Steel and the fork leg is aluminum, if you slide off the stud, you will drill a hole in the aluminum very quickly. I have done this in the past and I am a pretty good wrench! Also if you slip off the stud, It makes it even tougher to get out. Good luck, pay to have it done!!!

chris_psmith

Mar 12, 2006
Best way I have found is to sit a nut over the hole where the stud is and add some weld (if not enough sticking out to get a grip on) , it will stick to the stud but not the ally, you can then use a wrench to undo it.

faceplantin

Apr 24, 2006
chris_psmith said:
Best way I have found is to sit a nut over the hole where the stud is and add some weld (if not enough sticking out to get a grip on) , it will stick to the stud but not the ally, you can then use a wrench to undo it.

That's a pretty slick idea but won't the heat of the welding melt the ally? :think:

Top Bottom