MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Okay so I'm getting very annoyed with my bike, a 1982 YZ100. Over winter I've put a ton of money into it to get it ready for this season. With a new top, reeds, and an entire new carb its still giving me problems :bang:. Okay so heres the deal, The bike starts within 5 kicks with out a problem. When the bike fires it revv's to the moon for about 10 seconds then kicks down to a beautiful idle? Also when I blip the throttle or touch it in any way it bogs out and dies :bang:! I just got it all together today and spent hours messing with the air and throttle screws, re-routing the throttle cable even put a new head gasket on thinking maybe an air leak? Now mind you I haven't touched the jets as I have no money left to my name at the moment, also I'm not sure as to which jets are in there as its brand new and just put it on but it was jetted for this "area". Any ideas would be great as I'm not sure what to try.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Any one?? I have plans to go ridding this week end and would really like to keep them...

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
well sorry to say but.....(and dont hold me to this, im no master mechanic).... it sounds like jetting. The good news is jets are probably one of the cheapest parts you can get for a modern dirtbike. Its sounds like, with the revving up thing, it might be running lean on the pilot(? help me out here guys) as for the bogging, i think ive read that too lean can lead to bogging too but ever encounter ive had with bogging has been a too rich situation. When your bike does rev like that that give your kill switch a bit of a push. Not enough to kill the engine but enough to slow it down because revving that high when an engine is cold will hand you much larger problems.

and if you dont know which jets are in then take them out and look for a number etched in the bottom of them, thatll be the size. And while your into the carb finding the jets it wouldnt be a bad idea to give the whole thing a good clean. Clogged=bogged usually.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Sounds like a lean condition but cant say for sure. what you described about the bogging sounds like a lean bog along with how high it revs on start up. I believe that is due to a lean pilot also but not completely positive. Hopefully is just the jetting and an easy fix. Is your air filter clean? That can cause it also. Try turning your air screw in all the way and see if it gets better, if it does you need to start richening the pilot circuit and possibly the main. Thats just somewhere to start

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
So you guys say richen up the piolt, I'll see if my dad can lend me a few bucks and pick up a cuple jets and give it a shot. As for the carb being diry or clogged I know that its clean as its a brand new carb with less then 10 min of run time on it tunning, and I personaly made sure it was spotless befor puting it on the bike. Also that kill switch tip I found that out on accident when I thought I hit it long enought to kill it but it fired back when I let off and it cut the revvs out. Oh also the needle is in the center position, should I bouther messing with that? I'm really new to tuning carbs as my dad would allways do it for me lol. Any more ideas would be great!

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
How was it running before you did the top end? Could you of possibly put the piston in backwards? Sounds more of a carb issue tho, maybe not getting enough fuel through there. Check your float height also, Not sure where they are suppose to be on that year bike but do some searching on here and you should get the general idea on how to adjust it properly

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom