Boots to protect from ankle injuries

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
I am sitting here typing with my right foot up having broken the fibula just above the ankle. I wear EVS Web braces and use fairly new Tech 8 boots. The break in my leg is just below the lower brace fastening point on the EVS leading me to believe that when I crashed (my first time ever :joke: ), the energy was transferred to the weakest point. I remember feeling pressure in my knee area as I went down, and thinking, Oh no, there goes the knee, but the knee brace must have done its work and sent the stress down to the ankle area.

Now, for my question. I am considering different boots, like the SIDI or Gaerne which seem to have more ankle bracing than the Tech 8's. Yes, there is also the new Tech 10's. Does anyone have thoughts on what a more protective boot might accomplish? Would the extra rigidity cause the energy of a crash to move elsewhere? The hip or femur for example. Or, would a stronger boot support in the ankle area contribute to a more contiguous protection of the entire leg? Does anyone have anecdotal experiences they can share? Or...?

Thanks for the help in advance.

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
I am really beefing up my protection for next year I want to have no injuries.
I got myself a pair of Tech 8s and CTi2 knee braces. Next as far as legs go I am going to pick up a pair of 661 Race Brace Pro Ankle Braces.

Maybe the ankle braces would give you the protection you need without dishing out the cash to replace perfectly good boots.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I've had the same break...six weeks goes fast :)

Will Patterson from Tucker Rocky explained the difference in the various boots to me at DW. Of all the boots available, the Gaerne S10 offer the most ankle protection. They are reenforced to reduce lateral deflection of the ankle, yet they allow good heal/toe movement.

Right now I'm a Tech-8 owner (I broke my ankle with Fox Forma's) but I've asked Santa for a new pair of boots this year!

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
The Oxtars also have an exoskeleton ankle bracing setup. The Sidis are very good and I would highly recommend them after owning a couple of pairs of Tech 8s, particularly for ankle protection. I'm going to try the Oxtars this year as I like the additional protection they provide for hyperextension in either forward or backward directions (toe bending back to shin, and toe bending straight down). Can't comment on then in actual use just yet though.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
The shop I work at carries both the SG-10's and the Oxstar high end boot. We also have had Tech 10's for about a week now. The SG-10 & Oxstars are by far & away better boots than either the Tech 8 or Tech 10's. Between the Gaerne & Oxstar it comes down to which fits you better. They both have very strong, well thought out ankle support.
The Tech 10 on the other hand has great ankle support, but you can fold the toe portion of the boot up to the shin with the same amount of effort it takes to fold a pair of Vans in half. The boot folds right in front of where the ankle support ends, right at the begining of the arch. :yikes: Clip one rock, or root ball & instantly break your foot.

Jim, if you want to try any of these on, I have them all & you are more than welcome to come try them on reguardless of what or where you decide to purchase. :cool:

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Jim, I just realised I didn't comment on the Sidi's.
These are also great boots! The only short coming with the Sidi's is if you have big calves, they will not close around the top even with all the adjustments full out.

As I recall you have bird legs, so this shouldn't be a problem. ;)

I stock all the Sidi's as well.

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
John, watchyou saying, birdlegs. Why I outta... :joke:

Thanks for the invite to try on the boots. Since it is my right leg that is broken, it will be a few weeks before I can navigate, but I will call you to set something up. I have seen the SG-10's, but I'm not that familiar with the Oxtars.

L

LukeRips

I broke my fibula at the end of August wearing Sidi Force T/A's. I'm going to try the Gaerne SG-10 for next year but I love the Sidi boots and that's the first ankle injury ever in them.

Top Bottom