Bottom End Snap!

JSTUCKI

Jul 8, 2002
OK, I've got a 2002 KDX220 with an FMF Gnarly pipe and Turbine CoreII silencer. The thing really hauls once your on the pipe which by the way is about half rev'd out. The problem and my question is what is the best mod to get some throttle responce(snap) in first gear low rev situations? I'm looking at getting the head milled by RB Designs and then gearing down some. I ride tight woods and getting over obstacles is a bear with the KDX. Any other suggestions, comments?

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Is this maybe a jetting issue? I believe a 220 with a pipe should be able to loft the front end in 1st or 2nd with just a twist.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
23jay is right...if jetting hasn't been changed, of course it is an issue.

For a few bucks you can put a 12T on the front. Works with the 108link chain. If you don't like it, you can change back to the 13T in a minute.

IMO and all, but getting the head milled is a great big mistake! There are tons of things that will improve your bottom end without increasing the static compression ratio. Detonation is enough a spectre as is without TRYing to make the situation worse.

What's 'gnarly' mean? 30 or 35? If it's bottom end you want, you should have a -35. If 'on the pipe' happens at 1/2 throttle, I'd guess you have a -30. Wrong pipe for you, then.

It's pretty simple to get your bike to be a stump puller. Other riders talk of pulling the front wheel with a flick in 1, 2, 3 AND 4 at times.

Jet it right. Gear it down. Run a pipe that fits what you wanna do. Change to either boyesen 607 reeds or get a DeltaForceII reed setup. The 220 is a torque monster.

If you're trying to make it into a 426...that's a different story.....

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…