bottoming out help

wjp

Nov 15, 2001
Ok, I'm a complete newbie at suspension so please bear with me!
I have a totally standard 2002 YZ250 and I weight about 170lbs (72kg).

On the MX track that I ride I seem to always bottom out the forks (only) on my bike - these are table tops that I've not yet got the skill/courage to clear yet. They are not particularly big (say 40,30,20 ft).
There are about 19 clicks on the compression, and currently I have then set to 15 clicks in. If I increase them even more I find the forks are too stiff over the rough stuff, and it tires me out very quickly, plus I'm a lot slower. But it does help to reduce the bottoming out of the forks.
From what I can understand from searching the archives, the spring rates on the forks should be good for my weight. So how do I stop this? I read that perhaps putting more oil in could help, or do you think I just haven't got my suspension set up correctly, and a good balance between the damping and compression will sort this out?
Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Wayne

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
Their could be a few different reasons for this that comes to mind.1 jump landings with the power on. since you say your skill level isn't quite up to par. I see this alot! 2 You can add 10 cc of oil at a time.
this will help also. 3 you stated that you have a 2002 is it new ! how much time is on it. you might need it serviced -4 Also check and make sure that your fork tubes are aligned and not on a bind. when you say 19 clicks is this from all the way in then out or the opposite

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I have often found the compression adjusters can be called harshness adjusters.I adgree with russ try adding 10cc of oil per leg.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…