tgregg

Oct 3, 2009
I put a set of Boysen reeds on my '86 KDX and it seems way pipier.
Has anybody else experience something similar? I'm thinking I'll put stock back in!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
did you not buy the boysen's as a performance mod?

also read in the paper that came with the reeds there may be some advise on jetting mine said it makes the bottom end a little richer and the top a little leaner

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
tgregg said:
and it seems way pipier.
I run Boysen's ... Big difference over stock. That is what they're supposed to do. I like it !! More wheelies. Dave

tgregg

Oct 3, 2009
Well I have run them for years and always been happy with the results. But it really killed power low end and it hits hard rather than having a smooth transition on this old air cooled. Makes slippery stuff harder.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
sorry the paper work said maker the Idle circuit leaner and the main circuit richer..

you should really try to tune your boysens in I remember I had to mine ended up a 42/155/3rd clip

tgregg

Oct 3, 2009
Thanks, since I just got this old KDX I don't even know how it is jetted. I'll take a look and maybe I can tune this off idle stumble out. It is for sure running rich!

samiam

Jan 3, 2000
I have done some reading and folks seem to recommend the "603" reeds. I looked at Rocky Mountain's web site and see 3 different sets of Boyeson reeds offered. None of them are identified by the "603" part number. They offer "Pro" series, 2 stage (carbon over fiber?) reeds for $54, "Super Stock Carbon" series, which appears to be a carbon single stage set up, for $45, and the "Super Stock Fiber" for $30 - which I assume are the "603" reeds folks are referring to.
It is odd that I can remember using standard Boyeson reeds years ago and they were all 2 stage.
The "Super Stock - Fiber" reeds look identical to the standard OEM reeds, except they may be thinner, and more flexible.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Pretty sure the 607's fit all kdx200's. They are indeed a 2 stage reed. I hear to stay away from the carbon fiber reeds due to them chipping or flaking apart.

tgregg

Oct 3, 2009
The 607's are what I installed. I took them out this AM and put the stock ones back in. For my purpose I like the stock reeds better.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
been a little wierd on here lately...taking out 607's....gearing for tractor pulls (12x52)..whats next..is someone going to install bridgestone trailwings :laugh: ..or maybe ....no...put the air box lid on.... :yikes:

tgregg

Oct 3, 2009
sr5bidder said:
been a little wierd on here lately...taking out 607's....gearing for tractor pulls (12x52)..whats next..is someone going to install bridgestone trailwings :laugh: ..or maybe ....no...put the air box lid on.... :yikes:

Depends on what you want the KDX to do. I'm 65 years old and want a trail bike, not a race bike. If I want a race bike I'll ride my YZ450!! My air box has the side cover...you can't take it off, we just used to drill big holes in them and put screen over the holes back in the day.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Thanks, since I just got this old KDX I don't even know how it is jetted. I'll take a look and maybe I can tune this off idle stumble out. It is for sure running rich!

tgregg said:
The 607's are what I installed. I took them out this AM and put the stock ones back in. For my purpose I like the stock reeds better.

You mean you like the stock reeds better than taking the time to jet your bike for the Boyesens? There is NOTHING that the stock reeds will do better than the 607's, and that includes riding slowly. Low end throttle response should be quite improved over the stock reeds. Whatever floats your boat though, I reckon. If it works for ya I can see no reason to mess about with it.

tgregg

Oct 3, 2009
And I may someday take the time to tune to the Boysen Reeds. But for now I really don't have the time. The old Mikuni on the '86 has no air screw that Boysen says leaning up will fix the problem. It was much easier to just go back to stock than to go buy jets and mess with it. I'm not putting down the Boysen Reeds, I raced with them for years and I after all spent $40 for them. But I just want a play bike right now. I raced for 40 years and I really don't need to have the extra power and if I did I would get a newer bike. I eventually want to get a newer KDX, I bought this mostly because it was cheap and had a green sticker. The green sticker in California is worth the $500 I paid for the bike! Those of you from other states may not understand that :=)

Top Bottom