b-b00gie

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2002
I'm a potential buyer but have some questions...

I've been thinking of getting some knee "pads", but I'm wondering if the Asterisk knee "braces" are worth the purchase. I'm not implying that the braces are not worth the price tag. I simply mean whether I can justify the cost difference for my intended use. I guess I should explain...

I've taken a few spills where I've slammed my knees on the ground or on my bike. Its resulted in some nasty bruises and some swelling. It usually heals pretty quickly. I have no problems with the functionality of my knees. I would not say that I need (at least not yet :) ) "bracing" to support my knee. I am mainly looking for something to absorb the occasional impact to my knee cap.

I know the Asterisk Cell's offer a lot of support and bracing, but protection over the knee cap seems to be as thick as any other knee "pads" which sell for $80-$100.

How bulky are the braces? I'm concerned about them restricting my movement. I'm pretty thin and need to be as comfortable as possible to muscle my bike around (or at least try to!)

Should I go for the Cells? Is the extra $420 justifiable in my case? Or are these "braces" better for people who have problematic knees?

Please educate me, this is a pretty large investment. Thank you.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I would not say that I need (at least not yet ) "bracing" to support my knee.
Would you like it to stay that way?

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Better to be proactive with knee protection. They would of saved my knees from hyper-extension injuries if I purchased these when I first started riding 3 years ago.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Once you start riding with them, you will feel NAKED with out them!

I took a pretty good twist the last time I rode. After I quit for the day, I started to really think about it, they most likely saved my knee. :worship:

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i went with knee pads first, then figured as much as i crash i'd better get a pair of braces. i've got bad knees from jumping, but not really "bad bad" yet, so i'm kinda consciencious about the knee anyway.i was leaning towards a cheaper pair, scratch that, less expensive pair. i even posted on this forum(drn, before this forum but asterisk was still a sponsor) i got a pretty even handed response from billy , Mr who, whom works for asterisk. i figured that wa cool, the guy did not blow smoke up my heiney. so i looked back into the other pair. i found a dirt bike mag, can't remember which, that said particular brand was like a light weight taco as far as twisting protection.hyper estension and full on blast/impact were ok. i got to thinking and figured i needed twisting protection and impact protection most. didn't really figure on the hyper extension thing. so i poneyd up and bought a pair of asterisk. by the grace of god, i also got a pair of sidi flex force boots. that particulard combo is incredible as far as "insulating" my legs fron the heel on up to the hip ffom major damage. i feel like the bionic man in that set up. btw, last good wreck i had,completely tore the headlight assy off my wr426 and tossed me over. somewhere along the line my outer right, center kneecap, got a ding. i didn't even notice at the time as i walked away uninjured. but now, on my right outer brace area is a scratch about 2" long, 1/8" deep and 1/8" wide. i know the impact protection kept me outa the emergency room and by the looks of it, the twisty protection saved me alot of rehab. i just rode 2 weeks ago when eddie, who was wearing knee pads, got mixed up in the rythym and twisted his knee good. i'd recomend anything over just knee pads/cups. the choice is yours. there are plenty, or a couple at least, of what i call bullet proof(my words) knee braces, asterisk was well priced and got good reviews in the mags. what ever you do, move up from cup only. good luck. ps..i like my asterisk and that was the best 550$ i spent.

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
When i first started riding, I didnt' wear any knee protection and always ended up with swelling and huge bruises on the knee. some that kept me off the bike for a while. I then went to knee pads, which helped with some of the bruising but my knees would still swell up after a crash. I bought the asterisks when my knees were still in really bad shape after a bad wreck never had any problems since. The asterisks also helped my previous knee injurys heal up. For me the best part about them is how they absorb the impact when I crash (I dont' even feel it.) Instead of calling it a day after a good crash I hop right back up and keep on goin like nothing happened.

At first the braces seemed bulky to me and as a short rider I had some problems getting on and starting my bike. After a day of riding I forgot I had them on. Now I wont' ride without them.

Top Bottom