Homer88

Jun 8, 2001
Hi there.

I bought a pair of new front brake pads and here's what I did.

Took out old pads and replace with new pads.
Push the brake pistons all the way in.
But the front caliper back onto lower fork.

There's noticably some gap between the pads and the rotor with the brake pistons pushed back all the way in.

Then I pumped the brake lever a couple of times, bleed a couple of times,top-up the brake fluid and cap up the master cylinder.

Then I rode around to break in the brake pads.

However, I notice now my front braking is not as strong as it was before prior to this 2nd change. The brake pads replaced by this new one had the same problem as well.

When the front brake was good, I could stop with just a little squeeze of the front brake lever. Now even when the brake lever is bottomed, the bike is struggling to stop.
I'm pretty sure there's no air bubbles as I had the thing bled using a suction pump.

Can someone enlighten on this?
Could it be the brake pads material? I got a generic OGK which cost me US$8 to replace the SBS which was on my bike.
Any GOOD particular brand and make to recommend???

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
To have such a big difference, you have to have air trapped somewhere. To remove the air inside the caliper, you need to bleed it using the bleeding bolt on top of the caliper. use a clear hose over the fitting so you don't get more air in and can see air coming out and. Next step, to remove air trapped in the cable, you back bleed using a flat screw driver and create a distance between the disk and brake pads. This will compress the caliper and send the oil to the master cylinder. Be careful not to damage the brake pads with the screw driver.

Last edited:

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
old oil can also do this. I recently bought a kx125 for my young brotherinlaw. when we test rode the bike the rear brake didn't work at all. We got a vert good deal on the bike due to this. All I did was change the fluid and it works like a champ. The old oil looked like coffee. I always change the fluid when I change pads.

Top Bottom