Speedy Petey

May 2, 2004
Hey all. New member here so be gentle.

I am returning to the sport at the ripe old age of 40. I use to race MX back in the day and my old gear is well....old.

I got me a new pair of Tech 6's for a real nice price. I happen to like Gaern's better but could not pass up this deal. I actually liked the 6's better than the 8's, and the 10's were out of the question.

So the big question. How do you break these damn things in?!!!! MAN are they stiff!
I can't even shift with them on. Is there a technique other than wearing them around the house and yard for weeks on end?

Please help. I'd like to start riding this month and must wear these boots.

Thanks,
Petey

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
You really want to kep the stiff for preotection but the fit needs to break in a little. Just wear them for a couple days to get used to them and yes I always feel strange (and sometimes wonder if I really did shift) wearing the modern non leather stiff boots.
My son went from tech 6s to tech 8 and now to Gaernes and each time he says it takes a good 3 or 4 rides to really adjust to each boots feel

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
My Tech 6 boots were like that when new. So I went and stuck my CR in a mudhole at the bottom of a stream, requiring me to stand in water over my knees for about 15 minutes to extracate it.

After my boots were dry, they were perfectly broken in. ;)

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I run the bottom straps a bit loose during the first couple of rides.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Good info guys,
I need to break in my new Thor's....

Crazy4nitro

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
The boots of today are going to be a whole lot stiffer than the boots yesteryear. Mine were Fox with the orange shinguards, now they are Oneal. I too soaked them in water and wore them around until they were dry then rubbed them down with a waterproofing compound. When I get a new bike I usually have to rotate the shift lever up alittle (Big feet, restricted ankle movement from previous injury).

Hope it helps
Dale

Last edited:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
crazy4nitro said:
Good info guys,
I need to break in my new Thor's....

Crazy4nitro
I hated my quadrants at first because I couldn't shift in them. They have now, after a few rides, loosened up enough that I can slip my toe under the shifter.
Try wearing them around the house for a couple of days with the straps tight. Walking will feel very akward in them, but the movement will flex the materials. My son put his first pair on when he got them for Christmas, and wore them all day. He never complained about the stiffness.

RedStreak

Feb 19, 2006
I too, just got some new boots for my bday. The Honda store told me to just walk around for a few days. Try some YOGA in em!!!!!

:cool: just keep wearin em and they'll get fixed up real nice

JB

Speedy Petey

May 2, 2004
Thanks very much guys.
So I have to jump in a mud hole, then wade in a stream, with the buckles loose, walk around the house, then do yoga.
Got it!

Seriously, thanks!!
I think I will rotate the shifter up a notch or two. This will definitely help in the meantime. :cool:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I got some new Gaerne SG-10's not long ago.

Out of the box they felt very good. I walked around the house for a bit in them and they were comfy and not bad to walk in. I thought "Wow, these things are pre-broken in. I'll just ride in them without any further break in".

BAD IDEA. Within a few miles I was begging for my old crappy worn out boots. Rode about 60 miles (mostly single track) and by the end of the day I was still missing shifts, having trouble braking and by back was killing me because I was having to twist in wierd ways anytime I needed to use my feet.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
A few months ago when I broke in my last pair of new boots I ran one of them into a stump pinned in 3rd gear. Didn't help the boots break in but I did break a toe. Three or four months later and they are as comfy as my old ones. YAY for STIFF new boots - should have been 3-4 broken toes.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
The boot saved you, not it being stiff and new.

Trust me, I tested this theory quite well. I hit a tree (sideswiped it really) with my broken-in Tech 6 boots at 50+mph and only had two minor fractures in my big toe (the doctor called it a great toe, but I'm too modest for that; it's a nice toe, but I'd hesitate to call it a "great" one ;)). I also broke my femur (snapped it in half) so that gives you an idea of the impact severity. My foot was also bruised up pretty well, but that was the extent of the damage.

The Cycra ProBends also prevented ANY hand injury whatsoever. They were worth every penny of the $125 price and I'll be buying another set before I ride again.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
You want to snug them down as best you can for the first ride, to the point of even being tight, this will allow the boot to break in specifically to the shape of your feet. Then go out there for about 30 minutes and ride. When you get back in you want to readjust them and snug them down some more if necessary because usually after the first ride they will start to become a little more pliable and therefore a little looser. Do this the first couple times and after a few rides and tightening after each ride you should have them right where you want them. I believe A-stars has a quick explanation on how to do this on the tag that comes with the boots. But that is the skinny and has always worked well for me.

Top Bottom