cb-radio

Sep 1, 2003
Okay, I really wish i didn't have to ask this question and i now understand my mistake but i need help. :bang: I basically removed one of the rear bearing without removing the c-clip. Don't ask me how. In the process of doing this I broke the outer ring of the hub where the dust seal sits. My questions are: Can a machine shop repair this? Is it still operable? And will a '93 hub fit my '96?(i found one for sale) Thanks

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
you could try a two-part epoxy putty such as liquid steel. there are some pretty good ones out there. repaired a hole in the crankcase on an old IT 250 once...

cheers,
andrew

bentbars

Nov 9, 2004
i did the same thing to my kdx200. forgot the circlip. I left the circlip out and drove the seal in a little extra. covered edge with silicon. that was over a year ago and no problems. don't sweat it.

cb-radio

Sep 1, 2003
thanks for the responses. Bentbars how much silicone did you use, and im assuming the purpose was just to cover up the rough edge, right? So you don't think this will lead to faster wear on the bearings?

bentbars

Nov 9, 2004
I have about 1/2 of the outer ring left. first i tried JB welding the broken pieces back in. it would last a couple of rides. Then i left out the circlip, installed the seal, and siliconed aroung the out side of the seal. it has lasted over a year. I dont think it will cause any extra wear, the seal is still there and functioning. also my wheel bearings have seals. if your worried about it, replace it.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
you can find a cheap hub on the auction site but if you dont know how to relace and true the hub that can cost a hefty price. Never had this happen before but i would go with the epoxy and see how that works. If it doesn;t your best bet would be to buy a whole wheel off Eb*y. I broke several spokes and when i went to buy new ones and have it relaced it was going to run me almost $130. Got a new rear wheel in mint condition for $65 off the auction site. So look into that also

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Sorry...I have a problem with 'words mean things.'

It's odd you say, ' I basically removed one of the rear bearing without removing the c-clip.'

Why do you say, '..one..' of the bearings?

You DO remove one of the bearings without removing the c-clip because there is only ONE clip (brake side). Well, 'H' models anyway..and that's what a '96 is.

Why is understanding exactly what you said important? IF you broke the hub on the side there is no clip (chain side) then there may be something wrong with your bearing removal method. It's likely going to happen again.

What that 'something' may be is trying to move the bearing too much at one time. Moving in somewhat of a cross-hatch pattern, TAP the old bearing out. Don't get one bite on it and smack it with the force of a gorilla.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom