njkx

Apr 13, 2004
snapped my front brake lever yesterday for the 3rd time this season. when i went to replace it, the bolt that holds it in the perch snapped off. i guess it was twisted. any suggestions on getting it out. i tried drilling but didn't work. maybe i need some special bits. also, it is probably stripped inside the perch, how to i re thread for the new bolt.

btw 01 kx 250

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
If you are breaking that many levers you need to have spare perch also. Its only a matter of time before you break one of these too. So, just get a new one.
Or, maybe a couple.
They need to be replaced periodically anyway and they wear quickly and the lever gets sloppy.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Peer Lovell said:
If you are breaking that many levers you need to have spare perch also. Its only a matter of time before you break one of these too. So, just get a new one.
Or, maybe a couple.
They need to be replaced periodically anyway and they wear quickly and the lever gets sloppy.
I have a feeling his front brake lever sits in a master cylinder not a perch.
Drill it, easy out it, and or re-tap the threads. If it's damaged beyond repair go to a CR type or an 01 or newer YZ type M/C that uses a two piece adjustable lever, ... then when you break or bend a lever you just replace the section of the lever.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Good call whyzee! :aj:

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
thanks. got it out last night. drilled into it until the bit got stuck and then put some vise grips on it and screwed it out. when i said perch i meant the thingy that the brake fluid is in (master cylinder??). anyway, it doesnt look too bad, i think a new bolt will go in without re tapping. you guys have any suggestions on how not to break so many levers?? I've heard putting tape between the bars. what kind?

KSHAFFER

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2001
you can wrap teflon tape around the bars where the clamp is. you can get teflon tape at a hardware store. also don't run your clamps so tight that they won't slip in the event of a crash, just tight enough to hold it in place for normal use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom