Broken exhaust valve advance lever

jmd9052

Apr 8, 2002
My brother has a kdx 220 and he broke the Exhaust valve advance lever on his bike. i know it is broken because i found it in the bottom of the motor when i replaced the clutch. This lever is the piece that is attached to the bottom of the KIPS shaft with two screws. It is located in the right engine case. My question is....can the bike be riden like this....it does not seem to affect the power that much and it is ridable. i will replace it as soon as i can but in the meantime he wants to ride it. What do you say?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Fix it. It won't run for diddle without it.

The way it got broke in the first place was by removing the nut on top WITHOUT SUPPORTING THE SHAFT!!. Don't do that. There is a flat on the shat specifically made for supporting it while you are wrenching on the LEFT HAND THREADS taking the nut off.

But...I'm probably missing the ID of the part you're talking about.

Oh well...keep the support and LH threads in mind, anyway??

There are bikes that have exploded major parts after the shaft/corresponding parts were broke. Good thing you got it in time!!

Good brother!!!!!!!

jmd9052

Apr 8, 2002
really...the bike has been ridden since i discovered the part (and it doesn't seem to have lost any power)...i wonder if the broken piece i found in the case wasn't the advance lever...
is there a way to test if the power valves are working or not while the bike is running???

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
You can almost be sure its a part of the vertical advance shaft from your description and rest assured the bike will run much better with the KIPS valves working. Like CC said its the result of either not supporting the shaft or not realizing the nut on top the shaft is reverse thread (left hand). Count yourself lucky, often the snapped of piece of the shaft get punched through he clutch cover, case or rips the clutch basket to threads.

To check and see if the kips system is working: have a look at the throttle side of the engine, you'll see where the vertical KIPS shaft run up from the clutch cover and into the engine. You see the rubber boot between the gray plastic cover and the aluminum casting? Pull it down from around the plastic cover to expose the shaft. You should see the shaft rotate at around 6000 rpm.

You wont hurt the bike running it with the KIPS valves disconnected but you'll be missing out on either lots of bottom or mid to upper rpm power depending on where the valves are sitting. I'm assuming you've got all the loose pieces out of the engine or yea you could catastrophically damage the engine.

jmd9052

Apr 8, 2002
Canadian Dave,
I did think to perform this "test" to see if the KIP valve was functioning. The bike in question is my younger brother's '95 kdx 200. I have a '00 kdx 220. I started up my bike and grabbed the shaft and i could feel the shaft turning through the rubber boot when i revved the bike. I performed this test on the kdx 200 and the shaft did not turn...so the part i found was the piece that bolts up to the bottom of the kips shaft. i guess he got lucky that the piece did not wedge itself into the crank gear or anything else in there. i am going to pull the right side engine cover off tomorrow and see if anything else got torn up....most likley the little centrificul clutch thing that activates the KIPS valve got wrecked too.
i will update the post too.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…