MCP486

~SPONSOR~
Dec 26, 2001
Hi, I was involved in a pretty nasty crash last weekend on my 125, which left me with a bent pair of Twin Walls, Flattened Pipe, A 90 degree bend in the stinger of my silencer, mangled plastics, and last but not least a broken silencer mounting tab on my subframe. My question is how much would it cost to have a new piece fabricated and welded. Most shops in the area who work on aluminum are either too busy to fix it, won't give me a price until the work is done, or are only open while I am at school. I put some JB Weld on it, in hopes of getting me through this weekend, but I am definitely not going to rely on it for more than that. I want it fixed properly, so I wont have to worry about it. I live in the Washington DC area. Does anyone have any good esperiences with local shops, or know of any places that specialize in this kind of work that I could send it to? Should I just spend $274 and get a new subframe, even though it is straight?

Thanks,

Matt

B

biglou

I would think someone should be able to hook you up for a shop minimum. Usually about $20-40. Ask around. I think you'll find a weld shop eventually that will help you out.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I agree with Lou, they should not charge more than 20-30 bucks or so for that. Although, JB Weld is good for many things, it won't hold a tab on a frame.

If I were you, I would call around to some of your local shops and ask who they use for this service. Even if you had to box the sub-frame up and ship it somewhere, it would be less than buying a new sub-frame.

Just my $ .02

Ol'89r

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
I just got a whole in my trans. case welded up (posted thread about it a couple weeks ago) which is aluminum. Most welders get about $50 an hour. I dropped my motor off on saturday, and picked it up a couple hours later(most shops are not open on saturdays though). It may be more money if you need them to fabricate a new peice.

derekb_55

Feb 8, 2001
I had the exact same thing happen to mine. Took it to the local welding shop, had to come back later when the only guy that knew how to do it would be there, 15 mins and 20 bucks later it was as good as new.

MCP486

~SPONSOR~
Dec 26, 2001
Thanks guys. I took it to a local shop today, and they seemed pretty cool. There were motorcycle magazines laying around, so it made me feel better about bringing it there. They said $40, because the tab is also bent, and they need to straighten and clean it before it is welded. I should have it back by Friday, i will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Matt

Top Bottom