Buddy

Aug 14, 2001
I'm looking to replace the Acerbis Rally Pro gaurds that my Girlfreind and Son continue to destroy on thier KDX's. After 4 pairs I'm ready to try something new. Simple bar gaurds just don't cut it.
What have you been using and where can I find them.
Thanks.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Cycra 'pro bend' guards mounted to the fork pinch bolts on the upper triple clamp are the best, IMO. Won't spin on impact like systems mounted to the bar only, and provide more clearance w/narrow bars and full size levers. You may need to fabricate a custom mount and use longer bolts for the fork pinch bolts. The Fredette 'hand savers' also work well and the plastic guards are more flexible than most, which is a plus for woods work.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
There are plenty of guards out there. Try Dennis Kirk or Chaparral on the web. I've got simple Moose guards on mine. I ran those plain for a while then got a pair of FRP plastic guards for them. They take alot of abuse. I had a pair of Acerbis Rallies before these, and I know what you mean. JMO..........Good Luck.

:yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Polisports are my choice. I didn't care for acerbis units. The polisports aren't too good in the 'brush guard' area, cuz they are narrow. BUT..they protect the levers very well. I've bent mine over-double more than once..and they are still hanging in there. Not quite sure how they've been bent so bad..and I still have my levers....but that's the way it is!

AND...the green matches!!

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
I use Enduro Engineering guards and Fredette covers. Dirt Bike Dave has the best setup IMO. I seen many of the Acerbis guards totally destroyed. They look more like lever guards than hand guards. :silly:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

Buddy

Aug 14, 2001
I've used the EE gaurds on my EXC 450 and still have them on. But on Firelily's KDX? No way-she ground them into pretzels afer one outing riding in Oregon. The Acerbis Rally Pros lasted 4 or 5 outings.She needs PROTECTION with a capital "P". Yes, she is tuff on them. She auggers in at times in a big way!
Help!

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I'm looking to replace the Acerbis Rally Pro gaurds that my Girlfreind and Son continue to destroy on thier KDX's.
This is Buddy's girlfriend who keeps destroying Acerbis! Both the right and the left guards came off after a couple of crashes during a Enduro last Saturday. Then I broke my brake lever and quit racing at 37 miles.

I have used Enduro Engineering one before, but the brush guards were ripped off after a while. I wouldn't mind paying more, if it's for a good one. I have an unbreakable clutch lever, and it has been working great so far. Does any company sell unbreakable brush guards or unbreakable brake lever?

I know the best way to stop destroying the guards.....don't crash.....but I can't help it. :)

Mini :moon:

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
The Cyra Pro-Bends are solid stainless steel! They are great, but at a little over $100... they are kinda high dollar items! :)

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Ok, lets see if we can take care of all of these once and for all:

rethnal- The Cycra Pro bends are Aluminum Alloy not SS. The Acerbis Ralley Pros are Aluminum with a plastic covering.

firelily-I can understand the Ascerbis ones getting mashed(they use a softer grade of Aluminum)but, the EE's. If the brush guards came off, no problem. If they are rotating then you need to look into the Cycra Pro Bends w/Triple Clamp Mounts. You pay more but you get whole lot more. Or you need to tighten down the bolts more.

Enduro Engineering's Hand Guards are just one of many guards out there that look alike, example: Answer Bark Busters; Answer Protaper Lever Guards; Maier Deluxe Woods Pro Aluminum Handguards; Moose Aluminum Handguards; MSR Lever Guards; and MSR Aluminum Derbis Deflectors. Not to mention FRP's.

Now I am sure I left a few out, but these are the ones that I pulled out of Chaparral and Dennis Kirk that are the same style.

A piece of Aluminum bar bent to look sorta like a "J". One end mounts into the bar end with compression hardware and the other end mounts onto the bar close to the handlebar clamp.

Now the only ones that have changed the design is Cycra. They added a bend downward at the outward bar radius. This gives more hand room and adds a little more strength to the bend. The other option is to mount on end to the upper triple clamp. And BAM! No more rotation. If your bike is one they make them for.

All of these have a plastic brush deflector that you can add to them. Most mount on the inside. Cycra mounts on the outside.

In the end it really comes down to what your wallet will allow you to spend. I anded up buying the Ascerbis's and dropping about $90 from a shop. After those exploded I spent $40 for the Moose pair then $25 for thre FRP brush guards.

Since I've put these on, no broken or bent levers. The secret is to have the guards inline with your levers. I see people all the time with the guards rotated higher than their levers. What happens in a crash. You guessed it, a bent or broken lever.

I will stop rambling now, sorry for the intrusion. :think:

p.s. carver- haven't heard of polisport, but I think you have it under control.

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by RJ-KDX
Ok, In the end it really comes down to what your wallet will allow you to spend. I anded up buying the Ascerbis's and dropping about $90 from a shop. After those exploded I spent $40 for the Moose pair then $25 for thre FRP brush guards.

Since I've put these on, no broken or bent levers. The secret is to have the guards inline with your levers. I see people all the time with the guards rotated higher than their levers. What happens in a crash. You guessed it, a bent or broken lever.

And who do ya think makes their hand guards??? Hint: EE

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I can hear King Richard now: Handguards? We don't need no stinkin' handguards! That's why we wear gloves, 'ya wimps... :aj:

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
O.K. Here is my mid report.....

I am riding in Elsinore GP (Southern California) on this weekend.
So I needed to put something on to protect my levers.
Buddy tried to put the damaged handguards on, but they were so bent up and difficult to put back on. After working on it for a while, he got stressed out, mad at me and said "I'm tired of this!" So I said "Fine, I will go and buy a new one!" Then I went to a nearby bike shop and bought Enduro Engineering handguards for $36 (a manager gave me 10% discount!) This pair was the cheapest in the shop. And I thought I could use it just to get over this weekend.

And then I saw an UNBREAKABLE brake lever displayed in a glass cabinet. Yeah! This is what I needed! I bought it for $75. So now I have unbreakable clutch lever and unbreakable brake lever. They both have 5 year warranty!!!
I'm so happy! :yeehaw:

Well, I'm still going to shop better handguards and hand deflectors for tough trail riding. So I will read everyone's posts again and do more research, and hopefully I can get the best one!!!

Thank you for all the information. I'm also happy to know that I'm not the only one who went through a couple of pairs of handguards!

RJ-KDX, I saw Cycra Pro Bend at the shop. I wanted to get it, but it was for a fat handlebar, so I didn't get it this time.....maybe when I buy a pro TAPER handlebar.....

Mini :thumb:

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Firelily, Sounds like your on your way. Since you live in CA try Chaparral Racing's website. You should be able to get them in a day. I buy most of my stuff from catalogs. Most of the time it's cheaper. The shops around here are pretty lacking in good parts.
Good luck and good riding! :thumb:

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
RJ-KDX,
I just checked the Chaparral Racing Web site. Very nice. We didn't know about this company. And yes, since they are located in CA, shipping should be faster than other companies we were using.
Thank you!
Mini

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I had the Acerbis rally brush guards and they never stayed in one place even in small crashes. The Enduro Engineering guards are far superior, I have never had them spin or move in a crash. I would recommend the EE or Cycra pro bend. The Maier plastic units suck too, my daughter broke a set on her bike... and she rides like a girl! :)

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
According to Buddy, I'm supposed to PUT the bike DOWN when I fall or crash, so I don't break anything. Can you guys all do that? :eek:

But the other day, I was talking to Buddy's son (14), and we both agreed that we ride pretty fast, and that's why we destroy things on the bikes when we crash. It doesn't usually happen when I go slow on single track so.... :whiner:

Mini

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom