JJmxr

Nov 14, 1999
My 5yo thought that Bubba was the greatest person ever, he even mentions him in his nightly prayer. This weekend at Budds Creek that all changed. We got there early, bought our pit passes and got fairly close to the front. After he came out and started signing he worked his way down and started back to the other end where we had made it to the very front. Of course about ten feet before he got to us he went to the lounge of the semi to get ready for practice. My 5yo was crying and very upset, but he understood that it was hard for Bubba to get to every one.

The crowd went away except for a hand full of us that were hoping to get him when he was done with his little meeting. After the meeting he came back out, but pretty much ignored us all. He had plenty of time though to bring some little blonde girl in the pit area and talk to her for 10 minutes, and he even saw someone he knew from the small crowd that was still there and went over and took a picture with him. By then we had positioned ourselves right by the door to his motorhome. My son was holding out that a poster he took from his room ( that Supernatural poster with him laying it out flat at the top of Henry's hill) when Bubba walked to his bus he looked at us and told us he couldn't, even though we were the only ones near him he couldn't take 10 seconds to sign the poster of a crying 5yo. My son was crushed, and we left without watching the race. .

I know that these things happen alot because there are just too many people to please, but when it happens to you its different. Those of you that have kids can understand what its like looking down at a young son or daughter whose lips are trembling and is totally distraught. I can't even begin to say how deeply it hurt to see my son like that. I never wanted to beat up some one so bad. Kawasaki is partly to blame because all the other teams had lines set up for their top guys, but not at team Green it was a free for all.

While I know some out there will defend him the bottom line for me is that Bubba is a spoiled, no good piece of *#%T. We were there for three days racing the amateurs and had many pleasant run ins with other top guys (including a nice long talk with RC). James if you are out there, you have a great talent for crushing 5 year olds. I hope you choke on all the trophies you little jerk.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Get your son in line earlier next time dad... me thinks it's your fault pops.

Are people supposed to sit there for unlimited time, sign stuff until there are no more preople in the state that want an autograph? Maybe there is a time when they are supposed to quit and get ready for the "little race". I've seen the lines he and people like Travis have, no way theres time to get it all done. They let WAY too many people in the pits and not enough time for the riders to handle it and still make their pre-race meetings, practice and everything else they HAVE to do. Blame the the promoters, not the riders.

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
well, i wasn't there, and i'm not famous, but i personally would be unable to look at a 5 yr-old (or any kid) and say "sorry, no time."

i would be more likely to say "today i only have a little time, so i'm only signing for kids under 16. you grownups can all p!ss off!"

bummer about your son tho. this might be a good time to explain to him that athletes are just performers, not 'heroes' or any other such thing.

JJmxr

Nov 14, 1999
All good points. We were there plenty early, its just hard to fight others for your place in line when you have a 5yo with you. I agree that the promoters do a poor job of it, way too many pit passes. I tell you what though, there is a noticible difference between this year and last as far a Bubba's abilty to be humble. I agree that there is a lot for them to do, but he seemed to be finding plenty of time to race around with J-Bone on their golf carts. It is probley for the best though because now I am back to being #1 on his hero list, although RC's conversation with my son brought him way up on his list.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I think you're going just a bit overboard on disliking Bubba. Perhaps there was a legitimate reason he couldn't give up another 10 sec to sign your kids poster. For all you know, he may have already gone over his time limit for "fan appreciation" type stuff. At some point I am sure all of the pro's out there have had to regretfully turn a fan away. I agree with Okie about getting in line sooner, or else just raise your kid to NOT get all excited about some sloppy squiggly lines on a poster.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
That's why I never go for autographs. Too much hassle, and why stand in line for hours for one, when you can cruise the rest of the pits and see whats up. I think for the kids, it's cool if they get a chance, but most everyone over 10 is only there to make a buck off of it on the dread E-bay. As for me, I just like cruising the pits and people watching. I don't care if I ever shake the hand of a pro or get an autograph. Just so long as I can scam a couple free stickers or something, that's all good. :)

I know the kids dig it, because last summer at the Summit Raceway outside Lewiston, ID, local hero Leighton Lillie (rode for Motoworldracing.com in the 4-stroke nationals at the time) put on a free MX school for the kids. He didn't swing a leg over a bike, he spent all day giving each of the 50-60 kids personal attention, and my boy lit up huge when he got his poster and chest protector signed by Mr. Lillie. Now, most everyone on the board says "Who the hell is Leighton Lillie?" Like I said, just some local boy done good, but you'd think he was Jeremy McGrath to those kids. He's a pro, and now he's all of their hero. These guys have a job to do. I don't want someone busting in to my office asking me for my autograph all day long either. Hell, the way my job is, I bet I damn near sign my name as often as Bubba! :|

Anyhow, enough rambling from me. Best plan is to never even go looking for an autograph. If you happen to get an easy one, consider yourself lucky. If you go there not expecting anything, you'll never be disappointed.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Next time try after the races are over. Most riders stick around and sign. I'm sure Bubba would have been much more willing to see your boy and sign his poster, now that all the race day pressure is off :cool:

It's really not fair to judge any rider with race day jitters. Spectators that are in the pits before race time, need to respect the riders and the pressures they have put on themselves to perform.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
Well I'm not in the US so I'm probably not qualified to comment, but I really cannot understand how anyone could not find the time to sign your boys poster, it seems supremely selfish to me, and I can understand what it must have been like for both of you. Perhaps in future years it will seem a good lesson learned, I for one have never been very big on hero worship of sports stars, pop stars etc., although of course I am not a five year old fan. The other thing to consider is that Bubba is just a kid himself, who happens to be an extremely talented motorcycle rider, and he still has time to learn how to be good at being a human being, although it will be more difficult for him as he is surrounded by people telling him he is the best. I particularly remember after one SX heat his excited father stamping around shouting and posturing like a prize fighter asking and then proclaiming "who is number one" etc. Humble in victory they certainly ain't, and I guess it must rub off to other aspects of behaviour as well. Still, I like to watch MX, and as an MX rider Bubba delivers big time. He is, though, just an MX rider, and that is something that it is probably OK for a five year old to learn.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Ya, those are some great suggestions. :|
Dad comes in here and says Bubba’s a jerk and some of you suggest that the kid should suck it up, It’s all dads fault, and change the way you parent your kid! Way to go, don’t we sound like the helpful group.
Maybe the truth is Bubba is a jerk and the Star struck are having a hard time with it! I think we have had the same thread a couple times before about the arrogant/pompous Bubba, and probably had the same defensive results!

It is pretty hard to get a 5 year up, done the road, and in line. It’s also very hard to keep up in an unorganized crowd when the adults are pushing kids out of the way for signatures to post on e-Bay like Pred says! If Bubba or his promoters had any respect for their fans they would try and organize it, and if bubba cared for his fans, then he could make the promoters do what’s needed to achieve that!

Now since I don't watch, ride, or read about MX then I'm sure I don't know what I'm talking about and I'm prepared for my anti Bubba backlash! No Soup for me :(

Sorry you had a bad experience JJmxr

JJmxr

Nov 14, 1999
Look there are many good points being brought up, and there is no clear write or wrong. He is 5 so to be honest being a little star struck is understandable. Especially when you are in a family that rides alot. I know that getting an autograph is a fortune not a requirement, and if I am to blame for anything its leading my son to believe that it could happen. I know that its impossible to get to everyone, and I am sure he learned a valuable lesson. I would have been content to try after the races, but the pits were only open to those who had special passes (like dealers, suppliers, and other such insiders) after the race.

Bubba does put himself all out there though so he should expect alot from the fans. He wants the attention so he needs to be prepared for what comes with it. A lot of responsability comes with being famous, but thats why his paycheck has all those zeros. Its impossible for a little kid who is growing up wanting to be a racer not to look to them as roll models, weather they like it or not.

I am becoming calmer by the minute, but I hope I still have some fire in me for Bubba when I get to Washougal later this summer :p .

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Any mx'er Bubba included is a dream to get an autograph from compared to pretty much any other pro sport. Head out to a PGA tour event and give a go at getting Tiger's autograph you'll get a quick lesson in this matter. It is unfortunate and I agree that I'm not sure how anyone could pass up a little guy like that, but in the course of the day he will see hundreds of those little guys and at some point he has to prepare and do his job.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
He could have just said that the practice is about to start and he has to go the the bathroom.
He should feel like an a$$ for making a 5 yr old cry at his feet, even if he had to leak on his dads shoes or something. Still time waits for no man. Someone is always upset when the riders HAVE TO DO OTHER THINGS. Sometimes youve just gotta go because youve already stayed to late. Whatever the case, sorry to see your boys feelings hurt by his hero. He might not even like the whole sport anymore.

Bubba's mechanic gave my little buddy his front fender after a crash and we didn't even do anything other than walk by. We later gave it back and asked if Bubba could sign it for him when he got the time. It all worked out considering they are alloted time by someone else as to when they will sign something.
It must suck being told that you will sign your name 1000 times in the next hour. Whatever the case was 1000 and 1 would have been great.

JJmxr

Nov 14, 1999
Don't get me wrong I love our sport very much. I mean what other sport can you get so close to the action. During morning practice the Fonz's E-line pipe guard fell off and after the moto my older boy walked right out and grabbed it, try that at a Nascar event! I mean I have pictures of all the top bikes so up close that you could read part numbers.

I also try to keep in mind that Bubba is still just a kid and probley hasn't grown up enough to look beyond himself. I was just hurt because when you love your kid so much its hard to deal with when someone causes him pain, and honestly my son and I were the only ones standing there by his motorhome at that moment, he could have reached out and scribbled with out anyone else hounding him. He plain just didn't give a damn.

I still think that the promoters could do a lot better job of fan access. Some teams do it really well (Honda) while others don't seem to care (Kawi). The biggest thing that makes me mad is they hold the autograph sessions from 11 to 12, so if you take the time to try and get some then all the good spots on the grass to watch the race are all taken. They should do them early in my opinion.

When RC and I talked he said how much taking the time off made him realize how lucky he is. I said that I always thought that he was the most dedicated rider out there and that I thought he was a great roll model for upcoming riders. He said that it meant alot to him to be thought of that way, and it was not something he took lightly. While I am sure in his early days he was a brat like Bubba, he seemed to be very humble and down to earth.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I talked to RC when he was Bubba's age, and found him to be very humble then, too.

I never did get the RC haters.

You should start a thread with "RC is cool!" as the title.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
super rat said:
The pits should be closed on race day.
No, they should be open. But no autographs. Just look, watch, and learn. Let those who have a job to do do their job.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
The question I have is why you would position yourself at the DOOR of his RV? Something's a bit wrong there, and makes me wonder if this isn't one of those situations where the bartender is annoyed by X patron, because X patron is suffocating him with his presence, and so X patron doesn't get a drink---for a while. He might have been 'annoyed'.

I'm not sure there's a realistic understanding of what it takes ANY rider to run at one of these things, let alone James--who is fully EXPECTED to be GOD every single freakin' time he throws a leg over the bike.

When we were in Vegas (03), we showed up late to his tent. I didn't want his autograph--just wanted to see the guy. He had already gone in. Bubba Sr said he was sick with a headache and was trying to sleep (I didn't ask, someone in front of us). The people in front of us actually coaxed Sr into getting James to sign another one, which he did.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
XRpredator said:
No, they should be open. But no autographs. Just look, watch, and learn. Let those who have a job to do do their job.

Excellent point! I haven't been in the pits for an SX event but I have been in the pits for some NHRA events. I've been an arms length away from some of the big names in NHRA while they're in THEIR pit areas. I always felt like they were "working" and just simply sat back and observed what they were doing. To me that was enough of a thrill just being there to see what's going on.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
XRpredator said:

I agree :cool:
4 a 4 stroker yer purty smart there Pred. :nener:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I've never understood getting autographs. Nor really the cult of personality. I love watching races. Any kind. I love to see great competition but I could care less who wins. Pro racers of all sorts make a lot of money and are now similar to all the other overpaid professional sports jerks that you see on TV. Pretty soon there will be a racer's strike like the other sports have had.

I appreciate their talent, but I sure won't help inflate their egos and wallets any more than they already are. Nor would I want to bother a racer on race day. That's what I hope to instill in my kids.

I took my boy to a race last year. Half way through it, he said, 'let's go home and ride'. That's my boy! I'd rather be a lowly slow participant in any sport than the most ardent fan with posters and jerseys and money wasted on someone else's "memorabilia".

Life isn't a spectator sport. Toss a leg over and RIDE!

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
JJmxr said:
.... I also try to keep in mind that Bubba is still just a kid and probley hasn't grown up enough to look beyond himself. I was just hurt because when you love your kid so much its hard to deal with when someone causes him pain, and honestly my son and I were the only ones standing there by his motorhome at that moment, he could have reached out and scribbled with out anyone else hounding him. He plain just didn't give a damn.....
what do you think he owes you and what pain did he cause your son?
Sounds like you got jilted. Get over it. I'm sure James doesn't owe you squat!
I saw Jack Nicholson at a restaurant about 12 years ago. He caught my eye as we were sitting down, actually the girl he was with caught my eye first. But when he looked at me I realized who he was and just gave him a thumbs up. Through out his dinner, there must have been 50 people that came over to his table and asked for his autograph or to have a picture taken with him. He was getting pissed, and finally asked the staff to tell the customers to leave him alone. When he left, he stopped at our table and thanked us for not interrupting him.
These guys may not wear the same pants as us but they put them on the same way we do.

JJmxr, send me a self addressed postage applied envelope, I'll get you anybody's autograph you want. Just make sure you spell their name correctly on the request form. :nener:

Top Bottom