JayP0629

Mar 11, 2005
hey all, im looking at buying a YZ 250- 2003 and the dealer tells me it has about 20 hours on it, but where u put ur feet, near the pegs on the frame have paint worn off from use, the tires show some use... its set up with a Pro circuit pipe platnium series..renthal bars + sprokets..after market body.. looks like it could have been raced but he tells me no... they want 3000 firm for it.. what do i look at to make sure its a good bike.... how much power should it have.... what should i listen fore....ect

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
All of our Yamahas were worn to bare metal in that area after just an hour- it's a Yamaha thing.
Tires should show some use after all they are not new. That bike should have a ton of power but my guess is the dealer means it has 20 hours on the topend not the bike. hard to tell how a bike in a showroom has been maitained without actually riding it but if you can pull the seat off the aircleaner should be just like new, if it is dirty that is your first sign to run away. Alot of guys trying to sell off junk will do a fantastic job of putting on new plastic and blowing every spec of dirt off with a powerwasher but forget all about changing the filter

JayP0629

Mar 11, 2005
When i talked to the dealer yesterday he told me the top end has not been redone, it was 20 hours on the bike... " about 20 hours" he told me it was like brand new, but the plates where u put the numbers have dirt embedded and scraches on them... the chain looks like its a bit rusty sprokets look fine.. and the pro circuit pipe has tiny rust spots here and there... u really have to look to see them... if the air filter is bad, how bad is that, dose it mean the piston wall may be screwed? and if i ride it and it has a ton of power should that be all i should be concerned about... is there anything else i should inspect?

JayP0629

Mar 11, 2005
i held the front brake, the front shocks seem smooth and decently firm.... it has an after market shock system on it too... something with the word cycle on it...

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Likely the suspension stuff is still stock shock and forks that the previous owner had revalved and possibly resprung for his weight, the suspension tuner then stuck his stickers on it. This could be good or bad depending on how the previous owner compares to you in size and ability. I notice your displaying the canadian flag, is that 3k firm in CDN $ if so thats a screaming deal if there is no major problems with that bike. Not sure what part of Canada you're in but there is very few suspension shops in most areas, it's likely from the stickers you may well be able to identify the suspension shop and even the previous owner. The suspension shop would then be able to give you accurate information to how the suspension was setup. You can ask the salesperson but the likelyhood of getting a straight answer is slim and you're likely to find that the previous owner just happened to be your size according the salesperson.

JayP0629

Mar 11, 2005
being its an 03, and it has insane power...and never been rebuilt....should i still think about rebuilding it..?????????????/

JayP0629

Mar 11, 2005
well i hope not, im going to take it for a ride in a couple days...( tuesday) the deal says he knows bikes well..races them and stuff and says that he rode that bike and its insane....i just dont wanna get on it and it be a slug...

JayP0629

Mar 11, 2005
went to the dealer today, not enough space to actually get the thing going, but its touchy , sounds great...looks good now that its all done up... all around pleased with the bike.... so far, the dealer gave me a 30 day guarentee on it... so thats good so i pick it up 3/25 so ill up date then

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom