weez440

Oct 22, 2005
ok this summer i bought an 02 KTM 125 and having it has been nothing but a complete nightmare since. i almost have to have a fulltime nascar pit crew working on it all week so i can have 3 hours of riding on the weekend. i am looking at buying a brand new 125 or 250 YZ and what are the prices of the two MSRP. and i am not ruling out the RM's either. i am relatively new to dirtbikes and do you think it would actually be easier to go with the 250 cause i know my KTM has such an irratic power band that one time you crack it down and there is a dead spot the next time you are wheelieing. any info at all would be appreciated. and how are the seats on the YZ's cause mine is so hard and uncomfy that everyone who has ridden my bike tells me i can keep it that it is so uncomfy. besides the navy blue is such a pretty color :)

Yz250f=secks

Mod Ban
Sep 23, 2005
how tall are you? weight? I would go with a yz250, i hear the 125's you have to be on them all the time and ride them hard! Also i think they go threw top ends faster

85kx250

Oct 16, 2005
if you dont like working on your bike a 4 stroke may be the way to go. a 250 4-stroke is like a 125 and if you want a 250 try a 450 4 stroke

weez440

Oct 22, 2005
i am 5'9 about 150 pounds and i just got into riding dirtbike this last summer i have ridden snowmobile and atv all my life i have a zr 600 snowmobile and a 650 arctic cat fourwheeler so i am used to power and speed and i don't like the hesitation the 125's can have on certain area's of the powerband. and yeah i know if i want reliability to get a 4 stroke but this may sound stupid but i love the sound of a 2-stroke.

Yz250f=secks

Mod Ban
Sep 23, 2005
I love the sound of 2 strokes to, but yeah dont listen to that guy who said if you dont liek to work on bikes go with a 4 stroke, 4 strokes have just as much problems as a 2 stroke. They are harder to work on... here picture this. I ride a yz250F and the spark plug is under the gas tank.... just think of what i have to do every time i foul a spark plug. Take the seat off, shrouds, unbolt gas tank, take gas tank off. Then you gotta try to get the spark plug out. But you gotta use a extender since it is so far in their. But when you try to pull it out the extender hits the frame. Its ****ing hell. Takes me like 45 mins to do it :(

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
You can't go wrong with the YZ125. They are WAY fun, light, and dependable. While more maintainance intensive than a 250F, each maintainance ritual is FAR CHEAPER than a 4-stroke. Even though I'm a Suzuki guy, Yamaha is way out front with their 125. I'm probobly older than you... (47...yikes) but just quit riding 125s a couple years ago...for your size and weight, you are the perfect candidate for the 2-stroke. I bought into the 4-stroke thing too...BORING! I've got plenty of trophys... these days I choose fun, and that's spelled... t-w-o- s-t-r-o-k-e! And my two quick sons share my opinion.

RED EXPRESS

Sep 16, 2005
I have both those bikes and in most places I can go just as fast on the 125 as I can on the 250. The YZ 125 has a very good motor and well spaced gears you do not have to beat on it to make it go. I find myself riding the 125 simply because it is more fun and I can ride harder longer than on anything else I have rode. Yamaha has proven to have rock solid bikes for reliability and durability. If I was only able to have one I think I would keep the 125 for the funfactor.

weez440

Oct 22, 2005
ok i think you guys helped make up my mind i think i am gonna buy a brand new YZ 125 this spring. first of all i gotta get rid of the one i have now i paid 2500 for it this summer and it is in sweet condition appears that it was very well taken care of. has aftermarket handlesbars and clutch and brake lever it shows that it was worth like 2600 dollars so do you think i could get 2200 for it? i guess i would let it go for 2000 just so i can get on a pretty new blue machine.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
Yz250f=secks said:
I love the sound of 2 strokes to, but yeah dont listen to that guy who said if you dont liek to work on bikes go with a 4 stroke, 4 strokes have just as much problems as a 2 stroke. They are harder to work on... here picture this. I ride a yz250F and the spark plug is under the gas tank.... just think of what i have to do every time i foul a spark plug. Take the seat off, shrouds, unbolt gas tank, take gas tank off. Then you gotta try to get the spark plug out. But you gotta use a extender since it is so far in their. But when you try to pull it out the extender hits the frame. Its ****ing hell. Takes me like 45 mins to do it :(

My spark plug is also more or less under the gas tank as well.

I just use an open end wrench, break it loose, and unscrew with my hand.

weez440

Oct 22, 2005
ok couple questions is the YZ 125 a 5 speed or 6 speed and what is the msrp? and is there alot of mods out there for when i get better and need to beat the crap out of the rest of my buddies i can hop her up and still keep it reliable?

Top Bottom