cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
buying a bike with no papers?

ok so I found a great deal on a bike with no papers..if I buy it is there a way I can register it? should I even worry about it? is it that big of a deal to have your bike registerd?

cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
im in california

the bike is a 98..the guy im buying it from is the 2nd owner i guess....he said he bought it offsome one else with no papers

i have no idea when it was registered

cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
well cant i just say screw it and ride at tracks and at other places like gorman? what would they do if they find me riding a non registered bike?

cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
whats blm? are you familiar with gorman? I would like to ride there...when I was little and rode my 80 i dont remember anything about registration

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Burea of Land Management. The operate areas like Clear Creek, Mace Mill, Cow Mountain, and many other public use areas.

I have never ridden on a private track, but I do not believe they check registration. You can say screw it and ride private tracks only, but the resale value of your bike will be seriously affected and you won't be able to ride on public land with your friends if they decide they want to.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I bought my first bike with no papers in cali, and had no problems registering it with just a written bill of sale. The pink arrived in the mail shortly after. But I was more lucky than smart. :nod:

If a bike doesn't have papers, how do you know it's not stolen or has a lien (meaning some bank owns it)? You should find a way to search the VIN before purchasing.

Like others have said, when you go to sell (and you will eventually), people will avoid your bike like the plague if it doesn't have proper documentation.

cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
well thats why im buying it has no papers so no one wants it so its in my price range...otherwise im looking at not getting a bike for another couple months or so.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
At least get the VIN checked out to make sure it's not stolen or still has a lien against it. If it is stolen and it is found in your possession your responsible.

Steve

wirefryer#85

May 26, 2006
Run the VIN!!

If it's hot and the Police find you, the LEAST of your problems will be the fact that you just threw away the money you paid for it, not to mention any mods or parts you put on it.

Been there, done that!

(It sucked!)

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Once of my friend's bikes was stolen recently. The bike was sold at an amazingly good deal (1996 XR600L) for only $700. The lucky new owner put several hundred dollars in parts into it before the police took the bike away with several hundred dollars worth of new parts and gave it back to the registered owner. The poor guy who bought a bike with no papers was out the cost of the bike and his new parts. The only way to recover would be to sue the person who stole the bike, if they can find him.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
cawkazn said:
how much would you pay for a 98 rm 125 with no papers?

Nothing.....unless I had run the VIN and knew it was not stolen, or owned by someone other than the person I was giving the money to......any cop can run the VIN for you...post it on here, there are several around that would be willing to look it up for you....

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
cawkazn, if you run across another bike with a simular circumstance, there are several members here that can run the VIN for you. Better to loose a bad deal than to buy into one.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
As long as the bike was registered in California, you can apply for title and registration in your name. First, run the vin and this will tell you who had the bike last titled in their name. Then, get a bill of sale from the person that you have purchased it from and make attempt to contact the original owner via certified mail, return receipt requested. If this person responds, you can ask them to write an affidavit explaining that they sold that bike to "said" individual and then you will have your bill of sale from that "said" individual. Take the bike to the DMV at that point for verification of vin and you should have no problems registering it. If the vin shows it was never registered in California, you have to attempt to find out where it was registered out of state and then go through that state to get certified copy of title and present that to california.
Gorman DOES check for registration so private tracks are the only place you would be able to ride without registration
Goodluck w/ a future purchase

mxrider76

May 12, 2006
have the dealer check the vin number. My friend was doing 13 over the speed limit and the cop wanted to run the vin number on the 250r as he didnt have a title and it came up stolen from 4 years ago. There went 3,000$ +

cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
Hi guys, i recently made a post about buying a bike with no papers. Some one said that I could post the vin # in here and that some one could run it for me? well here is the vin #

i asked the guy and he said he has no paper work and cant provide a bill of sale either. what would you pay for this bike. its a 86 cr 125. hes asking $600. what do you think I can drop him down too?

heres the link to his add.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/269283826.html

whats a reasonable price for a bike this old with no paper work?

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Thats not the Vin.
The VIN is 17 digits using both letters and numbers

Top Bottom